cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Cache Synchronization Frequency (for Virtual Vault)

BravoZulu
Level 5
Hello all,

We have EV8.0 SP3 installed.  I have enabled Vault Cache across the board for all my users as we wish to use Virtual Vault.   None of my users utilize Exchange Cache Mode, so we're relying on the Meta Data Cache for Virtual Vault to obtain the foldre structure and info about archived items.  

My question is, how often does the Virtual Vault connect to Enterprise Vault and obtain updates?  It appears to me that I have to manually force a synch for changes to be reflected in the Virtual Vault  throughout the day.   Is there a registry setting to change the frequency of updates?

Is this something to do with not having Exchange in Cached Mode, and therefore not using the Content Cache (CC) to trawl the OST?    For laptop users that are offsite alot of the time I can see why Vault Cache doesn't need to update frequently, but we're using VV as a replacement to Archive Explorer internally and would like the metadata updated every hour if possible....?

Thanks,
BZ
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RichardG
Level 5
Employee
Hi,

The sync frequency can be altered using a registry setting - OVMDCSyncFrequencyInSecs.
This is documented, have a look at the help from the Vault Administration Console - "Help on Enterprise Vault", under Registry Values | Outlook Add-ins.

BTW: There is no requirement to be in exchange cache mode for VC/VV provided that the Desktop policy has the Advanced Vault Cache setting "Offline store required" set to "No".

Cheers,
Richard.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5
I think the default is for the client to check and update every 3 minutes when you first log into Outlook. It will continually work to connect and get an updated copy. However, once it's updated, it checks every 24 hours to update.

You can see the schedule in the Details tab of the Vault Cache Properties in Outlook to see the status and the next scheduled sync. I'm not sure if there is a way to increase or decrease the setting via registry.

BravoZulu
Level 5

Thanks for the info Matthew,  much appreciated.

I enabled the "Vault Cache details" option (under the Vault Cache tab in the Default Desktop Policy) and done a resync.  The tab shows me that the next scheduled sync appears to be within the next 20hrs.....

Maybe the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) only works for the Content Cache (CC) when you have an OST?  It would be better if the
Meta Data Cache (MDC) used by Virtual Vault was updated more frequent, in my opinion.   

BZ 

Matthew_Kimler
Level 5

I believe that the updating process requires exchange cache mode to be enabled to even work. The following article might be of more assistance:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/simple-overview-vault-cache-how-it-works-and-troubl...

I hope that helps.

BravoZulu
Level 5

Thanks Matthew.

I did see that article before and the reply from Rob regarding BITS throttling, and as you say, it doesn't look like you can change the frequency in which Virtual Vault synchronizes, and there's basically no frequency of sync if you don't have Exchange Cache mode enabled :(  

RichardG
Level 5
Employee
Hi,

The sync frequency can be altered using a registry setting - OVMDCSyncFrequencyInSecs.
This is documented, have a look at the help from the Vault Administration Console - "Help on Enterprise Vault", under Registry Values | Outlook Add-ins.

BTW: There is no requirement to be in exchange cache mode for VC/VV provided that the Desktop policy has the Advanced Vault Cache setting "Offline store required" set to "No".

Cheers,
Richard.

BravoZulu
Level 5
Hi Richard,

That looks promising ;)  I normally read the help, but I missed that one.  I'll implement this in my lab environment and see how it goes.   We have the "Offline store required" already set to "No", so that's why I wondered if any setting would take affect?  I'll report back soon, and if resolved i'll mark your entry.

Thanks,
BZ

EDIT:  I just checked my next scheduled sync and it's 16:35 today, so after making the registry change I have to wait until that time before the setting kicks in..

EDIT:  I archive enabled a new user and set the reg key via Group Policy.  I'm updating every 30secs and it works a treat in the lab ;)   It's only an issue if you initally setup the Vault Cache without the reg key as the default is 24hrs, so something to watch out for...

RichardG
Level 5
Employee
Glad it worked for you. 30 seconds sounds a bit agressive for a production environment as there will be extra load on the server to service each sync. If you find that the server can cope with the number of users that it has to support then fine...

BravoZulu
Level 5
It's OK Richard, this is in a Lab environment.  I just wanted to make sure the setting worked for VV without Exchange Cache mode, quickly, and it does ;)

Thanks,
BZ

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified
BZ,Richard,

I do not see the "Offline Store Required" parameter in "Vault Cache" - using EV 8 sp2. I also have users without cache mode and the vualt cache is not being created nor are the buttons showing up in Outlook.

Please help.

rick_krieger
Level 5
Employee Accredited
You will need to upgrade to EV 8.0 SP3 on both the client and server.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
It's Rick K!

FlyingBus
Level 4
We use citrix at our location and laptop users also local installs of outlook that are setup to sync vault cache. We obviously don't use vault cache or indeed outlook in cached mode in citrix. 

So my question is 

would it be in anyway possible to have vault cache and virtual vault on laptops but when users are connected through citrix they can use the virtual vault as well?

I'm a bit confused how I could set this up because in our environment it can happen many times a day that the same user will connect using their local outlook install and also through citrix.

At present our solution is that virtual vault isn't available through citrix at all and neither is the vault cache. Any help appreciated!

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@FlyingBus  Please start a new thread for you question as this one has been marked solved and is a different issue.

Regards,