cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.7.1 as vmware guest

DavidMartin
Level 2

Does anyone have any experience in running the 2.7.1 appliance build as a vmware guest. I would like to build a test environment using the 2.7.1 ISO image to test out some of the new features in 2.7.1.

Many Thanks

Dave

5 REPLIES 5

DavidMartin
Level 2

ok. i'm looking to run a test machine on esx 5.5. Will give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks

Dave

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You must have at least two vNICs.

And I was able to boot install when my VM had two x vHDD each of 800GB (thin ;).

...which worked for me using VMware Fusion Pro 8.1.0 on Mac OSX Yosemite 10.11.3...

...but I have not tested the VM in any detail at all yet... i.e. I've only had time to attempt an install so far.  I have not tried to configure anything yet.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Haven't done one on 2.7.1 but in 2.6.1.2 the disk sizes you choose played a role. The installer logic can mess up the installation if your first disk is not large enough (needs to be larger than 100GB or 120GB) or one of the partitions doesn't get created (/inst or /repo cant remember). Then after that, if your second disk is too large it doesn't get tagged as the "BASE" and you can't complete the setup. If I recall that one had to be smaller than 30GB). 

In the end I went with 200, 30, 70, 70 to get a head unit and two trays.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

David - how did you get on?

I did post (a while ago) some notes re getting virtual appliances up and running in VMware Fusion:

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/netbackup-appliance-lab

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Has anyone tried ?

I have installed appliance version 2.6.1 on standalone ESXi 6.0.

As disks I had: 880 GB and 16GB. Later I added 2 800GB Disks as "tray".

With a disk of more than 800 GB the root partion will be large enough (66 GB free are needed) for updating to 2.7.1. It worked not in factory installed but with appliance configured as media.

Martin