cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance 5330 OS version 2.7.3 Factory Reset error

albatroz19
Level 5

Hi,
i must erase data on disks for 5330 appliance with OS 2.7.3 and i see only "Factory Reset" on menu like for this, but it's not ok because search a factory checkpoint not present.

- [Error] FACTORY checkpoint not found on appliance nbappl01. Please see the Veritas NetBackup Appliance Administrator's Guide for more information on how to reset/rollback this appliance.
- [Error] Factory reset validation failed. Unable to continue. Please fix the errors above and try again.

There is another chance to erase data on disks and then dismiss appliance?

Thanks in advance,
Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @albatroz19 

Yes there is a way to erase the contents (this is effectively what the newer appliance versions provide from the CLISH). Have a look at this article https://sort.veritas.com/public/documents/vie/7.1/aix/productguides/html/sf_admin/ch32s12s04.htm

Run at least three passes over the disks to ensure erasure. The trick is to get the volumes to a state you can execute the commands. You will need to unmount the file systems and possible destroy the volumes - the command operates on the disk (for example nbapp_disk_0 - found using the vxdisk list command). 

I have done this in the past to provide a non certified erasure of the data.

Cheer
David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

You can reinstall the Appliance using a disk ISO file (available on the Veritas download site) and basically do a Factory Reset that way.

That said, this will NOT erase the storage data. That feature didn't arrive until v3.1 in the CLISH I believe, so you're going to have to go with either physical destruction of the disks or another method of erasing the data on the disks. You may want to ask your server team how they usually wipe disks before decommissioning - if they don't have a service they use you might be able to talk them into running your disks through whatever software program they normally use.

Hi,
Thanks for response. There is a Veritas command procedure to erase appliance's disk?

Regards,

Hi @albatroz19 

Yes there is a way to erase the contents (this is effectively what the newer appliance versions provide from the CLISH). Have a look at this article https://sort.veritas.com/public/documents/vie/7.1/aix/productguides/html/sf_admin/ch32s12s04.htm

Run at least three passes over the disks to ensure erasure. The trick is to get the volumes to a state you can execute the commands. You will need to unmount the file systems and possible destroy the volumes - the command operates on the disk (for example nbapp_disk_0 - found using the vxdisk list command). 

I have done this in the past to provide a non certified erasure of the data.

Cheer
David