cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing hostname on NBU Appliance 2.6.01

lt13624
Level 4

Hi,

Is there anyway to rename the hostname on appliance 2.6.0.1? I have one character incorrect and need to change but the appliance will not let me factory reset. The following tells me that I can not go back to my old 2.5.2 USB image.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO94356

Im kind of snookered now. Do we really need Symatec PS to help us change the hostname? The benefit is we do not have any live backups, so we dont care about what gets trashed. Can someone help?

Kind Regards,

Leo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ah - i hadnt realised it was the Master - in that case the best way is to do a fresh build from a USB or ISO

If you dont have a 2.6.0.1 USB dig out your appliance certificate pdf symantec sent you - that should have a M* serial number on it

Put that into fileconnect and you will get the option to download the appliance ISO images (9GB!)

Download the ISO, connect via IPMI, connect ISO os virtual drive in the IPMI interface, reboot, hit F6 on boot and choose to boot from the CD

It will then boot from the ISO - when the splash screen comes up cursor down to Full Build and off you go...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Have you used it  for any backups yet?

If it is new and you just need to rename it and dont mind it setting everything in relation to netbackup just go into the CLISH and use:

Network - Hostname Set myappliance.com

This will effectively re-install NetBackup and rename the appliance - so if you have used it all data will be lost

lt13624
Level 4

Hi Mark,

The appliance is new, so not worried about data but it will not let me change the hostname as its been set to the master under CLISH. Its a catch-22, I cant unset the master unless I set to Factory Restore.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ah - i hadnt realised it was the Master - in that case the best way is to do a fresh build from a USB or ISO

If you dont have a 2.6.0.1 USB dig out your appliance certificate pdf symantec sent you - that should have a M* serial number on it

Put that into fileconnect and you will get the option to download the appliance ISO images (9GB!)

Download the ISO, connect via IPMI, connect ISO os virtual drive in the IPMI interface, reboot, hit F6 on boot and choose to boot from the CD

It will then boot from the ISO - when the splash screen comes up cursor down to Full Build and off you go...

lt13624
Level 4

Thanks Mark - helpful as always.

Its a shame that there isnt an easier way to change the hostname once master has been set. I understand that if you have a production NBU appliance, then this would be a big problme, but maybe there should be a -f command for us people who have fat fingers while configuring :)