cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 5200 v1.2 compatible with NetBackup 7.1.0.1?

Justin_Cruttend
Level 3

Hi,

I notice a long overdue update has been released for the NetBackup 5200 appliance!

I can't find any documentation on software compatibility. I can find hardware compatiblity, but not software.

• Is 1.2 compatibile, tested, and certified with NetBackup 7.1.0.1, or even 7.1?
  • What NetBackup client version is it compatible with?

Last I heard in here it wasn't tested with NetBackup 7.1 - which was a big problem since we bought the appliance after we upgraded to 7.1 and I've been putting off the upgrade to 7.1.0.1 despite some essential fixes!

After upgrading the appliance is now reported as running version 7.0.1.8. no

Thanks,
Justin

6 REPLIES 6

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Justin,

NetBackup 5200 v 1.2 is still based on NetBackup 7.0.1 code plus additional fixes related to replication performance and other updates. As you may already know, this appliance can work in a NetBackup 7.1 master domain, but it looks like you are looking for some essential fixes on clients which require your 5200 to be at 7.1 equivalent code level. 

The software update 2.0 will make the appliance at 7.1 level code base. Although I cannot tell you the exact date when it will be released (Symantec social media policy guidelines prohibits it), I can say that you don't need to wait much longer! The reason I am saying is that this version of software is already shipped with the new NetBackup 5220 appliances. Hang in there!

Justin_Cruttend
Level 3

Thanks Abdul, I appreciate the information.

I wish you guys would all use the same version numbering system and release schedule.

I can tell you that it's extremely frustrating and confusing having version 1.2 of the appliance software reporting itself as 7.0.1.8 in the NetBackup administration console - especially when 7.0.1.8 isn't a released version number of NetBackup software!

Todd_D__Woodwar
Level 3
Employee

While I understand why we internally have different version numbers (the updates are for both the underlying operating system, PureDisk or NetBackup, etc.), I think you raise a very legitimate supportability issue from the customer perspective. It can get confusing. Perhaps needlessly so. I don't know what the solution is however.

I would highly recommend that you create an enhancement request regarding this so your concerns are registered and addressed somehow. The official way to do this is by creating a new post in the Ideas area for the Appliance with this issue.

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

The appliances form a different version altogather mainly because NetBackup is just one part of it. We are looking into making this as part of hardware compatibility list so that you could figure out which appliance (and versions) are compatible in a given NetBackup domain. I appreicate the feedback.

Warm regards,

Rasheed

bartman10
Level 4

Hope you don't backup up a lot of VMware machines with 7.0.. if you do get ready for 200-300 million t-logs that need processed daily and CR Queue processing that will take 3 days for one run to finish.

I don't think I have that large of a VM environment and I really don't see how Symantec missed this issue for so long. I've spent months on the phone with tech support trying to figure out what is wrong with my PD environment. Finally I was put in touch with Sr. developers of PD and they knew the problem right off the bat.

Flash backups can cause the default 128kb dedupe chunk size to drop to 4kb. VMware API backups use Flash Backups... So my VM backups where causing 32x more T-log transactions than they should.

There is an EEB for 7.1.0.2 and a fix in 7.1.0.3 but it sounds like it's not fully fixed until 7.5.

I should create a post for this as I"m sure others are pulling their hair out also...

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

Could you  please also post the e-track number the engineer would have given you? It would make easy for others with similar issues to get the fix from support easily.