cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the 5230 Migration Utility to migrate PureDisk data to MSDP

bpdown
Level 4

Hi all, 

Need to migrate data off a legacy PureDisk system into 5230 and I need some clarification on the process.

HOWTO89017 states "NetBackup cannot use the storage hardware while PureDisk uses it for storage. The structure of the PureDisk storage is different than the structure of the storage for integrated NetBackup deduplication. The disk systems cannot be used simultaneously by both NetBackup and PureDisk. The PureDisk images on the storage cannot be transferred to the deduplication storage server storage. Therefore, to migrate from NetBackup PureDisk to the NetBackup Media Server Deduplication Option, Symantec recommends that you age the PureDisk storage pool backups until they expire".

HOWTO - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO89017

I've read about the migration utility on the 5230 appliance that can apparently migrate data from PureDisk to MSDP (just not over fibre channel).

Has anyone successfully used the migration utility to migrate data off PureDisk to an MSDP or using any other method?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Slim_786
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

As far as I know this cannot be done, if you read the technote carefully it clearly states that "The PureDisk images on the storage cannot be transferred to the deduplication storage server storage"

The only other option you have is to configure your 5230 Appliance, specify the size of your msdp pool while configuring the appliance, then reroute all your backups to the 5230 Appliance.

Leave your Puredisk environment online only for restore purposes until all the puredisk images have expired, after all images have expired you can then go ahead and uninstall puredisk

Hope this helps

Kind Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Slim_786
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

As far as I know this cannot be done, if you read the technote carefully it clearly states that "The PureDisk images on the storage cannot be transferred to the deduplication storage server storage"

The only other option you have is to configure your 5230 Appliance, specify the size of your msdp pool while configuring the appliance, then reroute all your backups to the 5230 Appliance.

Leave your Puredisk environment online only for restore purposes until all the puredisk images have expired, after all images have expired you can then go ahead and uninstall puredisk

Hope this helps

Kind Regards,

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The migration utility will take the last full backup found in the PDDO disk pool and migrate it to the 5230.  If you look at the 52x0 admin guide, starting at page 145, you'll find detailed descriptions and instructions for the steps to do this, unless you're trying to migrate the entire contents of the PDDO pool.  In that case, use the migration utility to move the latest backups, seed the MSDP pool and migrate clients, and leave the PDDO on until the images expire.