cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between "backup network drives" and "cross mount points"?

hanskniep
Level 4

What's the difference between "backup network drives" and "cross mount points"?

In a windows policy, there are two options and I am not sure what the difference is.

Backup Network Drives

Cross Mount Points

Can someone please explain?

Thanks...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

The Cross mount points attribute controls whether NetBackup crosses file system boundaries to back up or archive all files and directories in the selected path. For example, if root (/) is specified as the file path on a UNIX system, NetBackup backs up root (/) and all files and directories under root in the tree. This attribute is supported on computers running UNIX or Windows 2003 and later.HOWTO34485

The Backup Network Drives attribute is for use on single user systems, Win95, Win98, and ME. These operating systems are not supported with this version of NetBackup. For a computer that is not a NetBackup client, the preferred method for backing up data is to use UNC paths. UNC paths are more precise and indicate exactly what should be backed up. HOWTO34482

Was there something specific you were looking to do?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

The Cross mount points attribute controls whether NetBackup crosses file system boundaries to back up or archive all files and directories in the selected path. For example, if root (/) is specified as the file path on a UNIX system, NetBackup backs up root (/) and all files and directories under root in the tree. This attribute is supported on computers running UNIX or Windows 2003 and later.HOWTO34485

The Backup Network Drives attribute is for use on single user systems, Win95, Win98, and ME. These operating systems are not supported with this version of NetBackup. For a computer that is not a NetBackup client, the preferred method for backing up data is to use UNC paths. UNC paths are more precise and indicate exactly what should be backed up. HOWTO34482

Was there something specific you were looking to do?

hanskniep
Level 4

This answered my question.   We have native SQL backups writing to local disk (local in the server's eyes) and when we swept the X\Sqlbackups directory, it finished successful but captured 0 or close to it bytes.

In the policy they have backup network drives selected, but not cross mount points.  Once I selected cross mount points, the backup started grabbing the files correctly.

I came to the conclusion that some SQL servers have a network share they are writing to and "Cross mount points" should be checked.

And since we are not backing up the single user systems, "Backup Network Drives" is not needed.

Thanks!

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Glad to hear that answered your question. Please mark that post as solution to to remove this discussion from unsolved status, and improve the Symantec site content. 

Cheers!