cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Backup Failing with Error code 9202

Vikesh_Thakur
Level 2

Catalog backup Failed with error as the service user account does not have the write permissions on the specified path.(9202)

Nov 9, 2022 12:33:03 AM - requesting resource  stnbbackup.shiptech.carnival.com.NBU_CATALOG.MAXJOBS
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:03 AM - granted resource  stnbbackup.shiptech.carnival.com.NBU_CATALOG.MAXJOBS
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:03 AM - estimated 0 kbytes needed
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:03 AM - begin Parent Job
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:03 AM - begin Catalog Backup:Database Manager Query
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:07 AM - Error bpdbm (pid=287722) Unable to create disaster recovery package at /DR-Files: The service user account does not have the write permissions on the specified path. (9202)
Operation Status: 9202
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:08 AM - end Catalog Backup:Database Manager Query; elapsed time 0:00:05
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:08 AM - begin Catalog Backup:Stop On Error
Operation Status: 0
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:08 AM - end Catalog Backup:Stop On Error; elapsed time 0:00:00
Operation Status: 9202
Nov 9, 2022 12:33:08 AM - end Parent Job; elapsed time 0:00:05
The service user account does not have the write permissions on the specified path.  (9202)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vikesh_Thakur
Level 2

Here are the commands and steps that need to be done to change the service user to "root" and allow the catalog backup to complete successfully.

Stop all NetBackup services: netbackup stop

Kill any remaining services/processes: bp.kill_all

Change the service user: nbserviceusercmd --changeUser

When asked for what user to change to, type: root

After service user is successfully changed to "root" start NetBackup services: netbackup start

Then attempt the catalog backup again.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Vikesh_Thakur
Level 2

Here are the commands and steps that need to be done to change the service user to "root" and allow the catalog backup to complete successfully.

Stop all NetBackup services: netbackup stop

Kill any remaining services/processes: bp.kill_all

Change the service user: nbserviceusercmd --changeUser

When asked for what user to change to, type: root

After service user is successfully changed to "root" start NetBackup services: netbackup start

Then attempt the catalog backup again.

Hi @Vikesh_Thakur 

While what you have posted is a solution, it is not the best which is to simply update the permissions on the folder (DR-Files) so that the service account user has write permissions. 

This avoids introducing risk by running the majority of the daemons as the root user. The intent of using a non-privileged service account was to reduce the risk profile.

Cheers
David

This Solution is provided by VERITAS Technical support engineer.

and its works . Catalog backup are running fine now

Hi @Vikesh_Thakur 

I agree it works - I just don't think it is the best solution (especially from a security viewpoint). 

Would you mind sending me the case number (either here or via DM) I would like to chat to the support engineer.

Thanks
David

For reference, this is where you should have been referred to 

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100053355

Cheers

amrishhpuri
Level 1

Thanks for solution..  teatv download

hellodear.in

carlne
Level 0

Thanks for providing me this solution.