Partner Accredited

Hi

I have an image which is managed by an SLP

The SLP is configured as follow :

1. backup to msdp with expired after duplication
  2. duplicate to volumePool1 with retention 1Year
  3. duplicate to volumePool2 with retention 1Year

We got only one tape drive and the backup come from an NDMP device

So it is not feasible for NBU  to duplicate that image with such SLP because NBU considere the two duplicate operation as an Inline Tape Copy.

So I need to change the retention type for the backup operation on the « attached SLP version ». So, I will be able to make this image unmanaged (by the SLP) and the  duplicate it manually to both volume pool.

I think I should do it Ith nbstlutil command but I do not know how...

4 REPLIES 4

RB-Infinitely
Level 4

Hi,

Yes, you'll need to change the retention. You can do that with nbstl command line to show you all versions of the SLP, then find the version you want to modify and specify it during the modify operation.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000010265

Beause you only have one tape drive you would need to make sure your SLP looks like this

Backup > MSDP

Duplicate > Volume Pool 1

Duplicate > Volume Pool 2

and not

Backup > MSDP

Duplicate > Volume Pool 1

Duplicate > Volume Pool 2

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi RB

The SLP look like you suggested to. But nbu believe that it is an iline tape copy :(

I ll try nbstl and send you an update

Hi

Maybe that is due to the expire after duplication setting. Test with a time based retention and we'll see.

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

here we are :

1- Having two duplication operation (relying on the same backup operation) is not supported/permitted for NDMP backup image because it is considered as inline tape copies. In others words : an SLP such as bellow cannnot be used for NDMP type policy

Backup
      Duplication
      Duplication

2- Changing the retention type of a backup operation is not permitted by nbstl

"Exit status: 144(invalid command usage) - attempt to modify fixed values of existing version"

So I need to find another path...