Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Backup Validation

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Techiz,

Is there a way or something I can initiate from client to validate what is being backed up and compare it with df -h or something, in order to notify that this is being backed up and this is not.

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can run bplist or bpflist against client name and backup time.

See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000010270

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

If it helps, from media/master server side you can run "bpcoverge -c client_name". The output will list the locally mounted paths and shows if it's backed up in a backup policy.

Correct spelling is "bpcoverage" and it can be misleading as some mountpoints listed (like /proc/sys and /dev/pts) are not backed up. 

As far as "df -h", the backup image size has no direct relation due to compression of varying filetypes. 

Best practice is do periodic test restores.

Thanks Will, Tape, Marianne

Now I will look into bpcoverage but as will suggested it won't give reliable output, I will take a look anyway
Now restore test cannot be performed on daily basis, so there should be a way of validating the mount points on server and if they are backed up or not. So I could think of bplist only, however in one client it shows same mount point twice in single backup why is that?

Then I was wondering what depth level should I choose, should it be maximum depth defined in df -k because I wondering what if /usr and /usr/local are separate mount points

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

.... in one client it shows same mount point twice in single backup why is that?

You are the only one with insight into your environment.
Check policy config (attributes, backup selection, etc) for possible reasons.

Then I was wondering what depth level should I choose ....

We cannot tell you.
You need to run bplist with different levels to see what kind of output you get and decide what is acceptable to you and server owners.