Partner    VIP    Certified

NetBackup 7.7 SCL - Compatibility between versions:

Compatibility between NetBackup versions 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

well that's probably question for Support / Customer Care, if supported version of NetBackup is also supported on an unsupported OS platform.

I personally guess that you can open a support case for an issue on NetBackup/Windows 2003, but in case that issue will be caused by OS itself and it won't be a problem that is already addressed by existing OS fixes, then you have a bad luck.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

sdo

(apologies - I don't why this was punted to a new topic).

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

LOL, what were you trying to do? New Forum Bug?

Marianne
Level 6

Apologies - my fault.

I have asked Leslie to move the 'last post' in this discussion to a new discussion, meaning huddie's post, not realising that more comments have been added....

huddie
Level 3

Erm, ok, so adding the question again.  I've read the comments on the old thread, but my specific question hasn't been answered.  Maybe someone from Symantec / Veritas could weigh in ?

Please could you answer the following question as it does not appear to be addressed in any of the compatibility matrix documents on your website. 

Does Veritas support running NetBackup v7.7 (master server, appliance, etc) with v7.6.1.2 clients when these clients are running on Windows Server 2003 ?  Although your documentation states that v7.7 doesn’t support 2003, that doesn’t necessarily mean that we can’t run older NetBackup clients on our 2003 boxes (it may mean NetBackup Client v7.7 isn’t compatible with 2003).  So, please clarify if running NB client v7.6.1.2 on 2003 servers backing up to a 7.7 master server (on 2012R2) would work and, if so, would this be officially supported by Symantec / Veritas. 

If you can point me to any official documentation that clarifies your answer that would be helpful too.

As for advice about getting rid of 2003, I'm not a budget holder or manager, just a sysadmin, so you're preaching to the converted.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Supported

https://symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/SOLUTIONS/230000/TECH230331/en_US/nbu_77_scl.html?__gda__=1446604102_e599fdc52776a73f20eb36a0564e042e#compatibility_between_netbackup_versions_

sdo

Well, my take on this is... running a NetBackup Client v7.6.1.2 on a Windows 2003 server, and backing up to any other supported NetBackup Server... "used to be" a supported configuration.

But... because the client's OS itself, i.e. Windows 2003, is no longer supported by the OS vendor, then... technically... the use of any NetBackup Client on Windows 2003 is, by definition, no longer officially supported.  It would seem unfair, to me, for Veritas to take on ownership of backup issues where the OS vendor does not, cannot, and will not take on ownership of OS issues.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

well that's probably question for Support / Customer Care, if supported version of NetBackup is also supported on an unsupported OS platform.

I personally guess that you can open a support case for an issue on NetBackup/Windows 2003, but in case that issue will be caused by OS itself and it won't be a problem that is already addressed by existing OS fixes, then you have a bad luck.

Regards

Michal

huddie
Level 3

Thanks Michal.  Anybody from Symantec / Veritas feel like weighing in with an official and definite response here ?

Marianne
Level 6

You should always start a new discussion for your queries - not post new questions in another post that has been answered and solved.

If you want an official response from Veritas, best to contact Support or Customer Care.
Or contact Product Management via your local Veritas office or reseller.

huddie
Level 3

Marianne,

It's not a 'new question' but expanding on the original question in the older thread which you, for some reason, locked and then you moved us here.  I always like to say in forums that if you're not asking for help or offering help, you should refrain from participating.  With that in mind, can I ask you to please not post to this thread again as you are just making things difficult.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Huddie, you will not get an official response on a forum. However, michal1967s response above sounds fairly spot on and reasonable (imo)

If the OS Compatibility Guide says 2003 is supported, then it is supported until such a time that it is removed.

From a NetBackup standpoint - any issues at the OS level will not be addresses by Veritas, however.

huddie
Level 3

"Huddie, you will not get an official response on a forum."

Transparency and clarity when dealing with customer questions is to be valued.  That's lacking here.  As usual with Symantec.  Just forget about it.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Huddie. If you require an answer raise a support ticket and you will get an official answer, direct from Engineering and Product management if needed.

sdo
He didn't?

sdo
He did!

sdo
Mate, none of us like bad news. Especially when we're caught between a rock and a hard place. Assuming you are a journey man (look it up) backup admin (like most of us), then push your issue upwards to someone who has the latitude to deal with it. We do this for fun (and points). Don't shoot the messenger. Marianne, all I can say is... exemplar balance! (and restraint) as usual. (Doffing my cap!) (I'm watching and learning).

huddie
Level 3

I have asked Symantec / Veritas privately and, needless to say, they haven't answered.  They should be contributing publicly to these discussions.  This answer should be given by them and made public.