Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommissioning a NetBackup media server

CadenL
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi
Using the nbdecomnission command you’d typically include the ‘old server’ and ‘new server’ switches to migrate the media ownership etc. if I just need to decommission an old media server where all existing images have already expired do I just use the nbdecommission command with the name of media server to be decommissioned but without specifying a ‘new server’ switch?

Many thanks in advance
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

I think you need to provide new as well, but since all backup images did expire - no media DB will be moved to new server, so it is harmless to point new server.

View solution in original post

oolmedo
Level 4

Hello CadenL

From the nbdecommission command manual, the "-newserver" flag is optional, so you do not have to provide the new server in order to decommission the media server.

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdecommission
old server must be specified using -oldserver
Usage:
nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname>
[-list_ref | -newserver <hostname> [-bulk_media_move] [-file <op_dump_file>]]
[-machinetype media | foreign_media | ndmp | replication_host]
[-M <master_server>] [-reason "<reason>"] [-v]
nbdecommission: -migrate_cloudcatalyst
[-oldserver <hostname> -oldstorageserver <storageserver> -oldstorageservertype <type> -cloudbucketname <bucket>]
[-username <username>] [-password <password>] [-kmskeygroupname <key group name>]
[-newdv <disk volume>] [-newdp <disk pool>] [-dryrun] [-start_with "<start with phrase from previous attempt>"]
nbdecommission: -delete_cloudcatalyst -oldserver <hostname> -oldstorageserver <storageserver> -oldstorageservertype <type>

Best regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

I think you need to provide new as well, but since all backup images did expire - no media DB will be moved to new server, so it is harmless to point new server.

oolmedo
Level 4

Hello CadenL

From the nbdecommission command manual, the "-newserver" flag is optional, so you do not have to provide the new server in order to decommission the media server.

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdecommission
old server must be specified using -oldserver
Usage:
nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname>
[-list_ref | -newserver <hostname> [-bulk_media_move] [-file <op_dump_file>]]
[-machinetype media | foreign_media | ndmp | replication_host]
[-M <master_server>] [-reason "<reason>"] [-v]
nbdecommission: -migrate_cloudcatalyst
[-oldserver <hostname> -oldstorageserver <storageserver> -oldstorageservertype <type> -cloudbucketname <bucket>]
[-username <username>] [-password <password>] [-kmskeygroupname <key group name>]
[-newdv <disk volume>] [-newdp <disk pool>] [-dryrun] [-start_with "<start with phrase from previous attempt>"]
nbdecommission: -delete_cloudcatalyst -oldserver <hostname> -oldstorageserver <storageserver> -oldstorageservertype <type>

Best regards