cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to read from a Data Domain volume across storage servers?

LT2000
Level 4

Currently running NB 6.5.6 (but soon to be 7.1.0.3) on Linux servers. We have dedicated backup networks for internal and external clients. On these networks we have dedicated media servers. The media servers write to a DataDomain (via OST) which has network connections to the backup vlans.

The media servers write to the same LSU on the datadomain, but the access is done via different storage servers (each "storage server" corresponds to a network interface on the Data Domain). I want to setup an SLP to duplicate an external client DD backup to tape, but the tape library is attached to an internal media server which can't access the external storage server.

I'm thinking there is no way around this, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has a workaround.

Env is something like this:

DataDomain1 has 1 LSU defined, and 2 network interface (one on internal vlan, the other external)

Media_int_1 and media_int_2 are media servers in a disk storage unit DD_int_1. (pointing to a disk pool defined on storage server DataDomain1_int)

Media_int_1 also has a tape library.

Media_ext_1 and media_ext_2 are media servers in a dsk stu DD_ext_1 (pointing to a disk pool defined on storage server DataDomain1_ext).

Want to duplicate ext backups to tape on media_int_1, but can't add media_int_1 as a media server for the ext stu so it can read the ext image.

Hopefully this makes sense as I struggled mightily to adequately describe my situation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Don't have a system to try this on but here is my thoughts ...

Open the one media server properties under Credentials - Storage Servers

On the first tab you will see the other storage servers - select the one you need to duplicate from and apply it

Do the same the otherway around so that they "know" each other.

Then set up the SLP so that it backups up to the one server and then duplicates to the other servers tape storage unit - listing the first as an alternate read server

Note sure if it will work with DD though

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Don't have a system to try this on but here is my thoughts ...

Open the one media server properties under Credentials - Storage Servers

On the first tab you will see the other storage servers - select the one you need to duplicate from and apply it

Do the same the otherway around so that they "know" each other.

Then set up the SLP so that it backups up to the one server and then duplicates to the other servers tape storage unit - listing the first as an alternate read server

Note sure if it will work with DD though

Hope this helps

LT2000
Level 4

Thanks Mark. I was thinking along those lines but I assume that in order to create the credentials, the media server would have to be able to establish a network connection to the IP associated to that storage server/hostname.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If both are storage servers of the same NBU domain then i would assume they would be able to communicate?

NetBackup does the work and adds the credentials on its own - you dont need to type anything in - i guess if it can't do it you will get an error when you hit the apply button