cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue of after replace a new LTO-5 Data Cartridge

imskim
Level 3

Dear all expert,

I am just a beginner at netbackup .. first at all thanks so much with you guys to save my life when reading my post..

I am usuing netbackup 7.1.0.4 and I just found a tape have problem after inventory.

Therefore , I release the orginal lable from the old tape and paste it at the new tape .

After inventory, the name of the tape is shown at the robot again, but there have a error after i try to backup.

3/15/2016 12:21:00 - mounting 3002L5
03/15/2016 12:22:27 - Warning bptm(pid=5088) media id 3002L5 load operation reported an error     
03/15/2016 12:22:27 - current media 3002L5 complete, requesting next resource Any

is that any other step I need to process after I replaced the tape ?

Please please please kindly advise, thanks millions !!!!!

IT beginner

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

expire using bpexpdate -m 3002L5 -d 0

then go to the NetBackup GUI > Media section and delete the media from the list.

Run the inventory again

Try the backup again. You might need to label the tape again using bplabel but lets try above steps first.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

So you had one media called 3002L5, then it was faulty, so you removed it from the robot, took off the label and stuck it on a new media?

Is that what you did, or did i miss something?

imskim
Level 3

Hi Riaan,

Many thanks for your reply and you are totally right !I have no idea that what should i do after replace the media.

I am sorry that i dont know too much of netbackup and still learning, please kindly advise when you have chance, thanks !!

Best Regards,

Kim

imskim
Level 3

Hi Riaan,

Many thanks for your reply and you are totally right !I have no idea that what should i do after replace the media.

I am sorry that i dont know too much of netbackup and still learning, please kindly advise when you have chance, thanks !!

Best Regards,

Kim

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

No problem, just wanted to make sure I know what you've done. 

Usually we'd not see customers replace media as you've done. If a media goes bad, whatever was on it would be lost, so no real benefit in putting the same label on it. In fact it might just confuse netbackup as it might expect to find the internal header 3002L5 written on the tape and it wont be there (netbackup writes a header on the tape that matches what the barcode says).

So, what we would usually do is, 

1. expire the images on the media, take it out, throw it in the bin, and replace it with a new media (new barcode too)
  2. perform an inventory to recognise the new media

In your case you would need to check if there were any images on the media before it went bad.

bpimmedia -mediaid 3002L5

If there are images listed on that media they should have been written before the media went bad. PLease verify that and report back.

imskim
Level 3

Thanks Riaan,

May I ask more details please ? 

1 How can I expire the media ? 2 how can I reissue the new label ?( I dont need to keep any old data  from that faulty media)

I really try to google it but it may casue by to easy to other people so no luck... please give me some advice , thanks again !!!!

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

expire using bpexpdate -m 3002L5 -d 0

then go to the NetBackup GUI > Media section and delete the media from the list.

Run the inventory again

Try the backup again. You might need to label the tape again using bplabel but lets try above steps first.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Riaan gives good advice.

Robot load error can be mis-leading, it can have several causes

1.  The robot did not load the tape into the drive

2  The robot physicalled loaded the tape into the drive, but the drive did not sense it had a tape in it

3  The robot loaded the tape into the drive, the drive sensed it had a tape it but this confirmation never got to NetBackup - hence you still get a robot load error

One good thing to do (if possible, is to get someone to run the job whilst watching the library, does the tape actualy get moved into the drive or not,

We could also use robtest to do this, but as you are new to NBU, maybe just watching the library is going to be easier at this stage.

imskim
Level 3

Hi Riaan,

Thanks again for your reply and i will try to following your suggestion !

Btw, i am using GUI admin console , is that also need to use the command line instead of GUI ?

If yes, i have to start to seach at Google to learn how to use these command....

Thanks !!~~~

Kim

Marianne
Level 6
After looking at your latest post, I found this post. There is honestly no way that you can walk into a new job with NO NBU experience or training and start to manage a busy environment with no sort of mentorship or senior 'go to' person. (Unless you were not 100% honest about your level of knowledge and experience.) You need to tell your management that you need training as a matter of urgency. In the meantime, find the Training section on Veritas.com and look for the free online training. In the meantime, download the NBU Admin Guide I and II (links to manuals and other docs in my signature) and start reading up about Devices and Media management. Good luck! PS: Please close off this discussion by marking Riaan's post as Solution.