Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy SQL backup policy

Hamzah
Level 3

Dears,

I have a confusion regarding NetBackup for SQL using Legacy SQL Policy,

What is the correct way to backup SQL databases and Logs and truncate the logs afterwards.

1-  is it possible to include two scripts in the backup policy  first one for full DB backup and the second for backup up the logs and then truncating them.

2-  or create two policies for first one for full DB and the second for second for backup up the logs and then truncating them.

** regarding the first one, how does NetBackup behave? how does it manage to understand that the first one is for full DB backup and the second for log backup and truncation?, and how does it control to sequence? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

both options are possible, I preferred the second one when MSSQL intelligent policies were not yet supported. It was better for reporting and troubleshooting.

Is there a special reason for using legacy policy? Intelligent policies are generally better .

As for your last question, NBU does not have much control of the script content, it is almost entirely on the script author. You can have "Hello world" instruction only there and the parent backup job can end with status 0 (but not generating any child backup jobs for individual databases backups which should be suspicious of course..)

Regards

M.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

both options are possible, I preferred the second one when MSSQL intelligent policies were not yet supported. It was better for reporting and troubleshooting.

Is there a special reason for using legacy policy? Intelligent policies are generally better .

As for your last question, NBU does not have much control of the script content, it is almost entirely on the script author. You can have "Hello world" instruction only there and the parent backup job can end with status 0 (but not generating any child backup jobs for individual databases backups which should be suspicious of course..)

Regards

M.

Hamzah
Level 3

Hi Michal,

I usually recommend the SQL intelligent policy, but DBA requested to use the SQL legacy policy.

is there any issues or dependencies if we run Log Backup and DB backup at the same time?

one more thing, if the there were multiple scripts included in the policy, what is the sequence for NetBackup to run them?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

in the MSSQL, Log backup can run while a full one on the same database is running (however your DBA should know this, too). 

The order in which scripts were inserted into Backup Selections Tab is the order for execution - you can quickly test this by yourself.

Regards

M.