cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing Netbackup Appliance with V-RAY and BackupExec

endeval
Level 1

Hi All,

We are looking to buy a net Netbackup Appliance 5240.  We have an existing BackupExec deployment with a tape library.

Could someone please advise what licensing is ;

1- Included with the Netbackup Appliance (vendor part number: 16444-M4211)?

2- Additional required to do v-ray based backups with BackupExec?

thanks

James

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi James, you seem to be talking about two completely different products... NetBackup (and NetBackup Appliances) versus BackupExec.  These two product sets are different from a software technology perspective.  They both perform the same business function, i.e. that of data protection... but they do not overlap or join - i.e. there is no "interop" between NetBackup and BackupExec.

So, applogoes, but I'm sorry... but we can't answer your question as it stands.  Are you able to re-phrase, or re-state your question?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree - NetBackup (installed on Appliance) is totally separate from BE.

NBU Appliance can be used as Master/Media server to backup physical and virtual servers/clients.

BE needs separate Media server and Storage.

About your questions:

Could someone please advise what licensing is ;

1- Included with the Netbackup Appliance (vendor part number: 16444-M4211)?

The Appliance comes pre-installed with NetBackup and evaluation license key. No permanent license keys.
Permanent license keys must be purchased separately.
License keys can be Capacity or Agent-based. 
Please discuss licensing needs with your reseller.

2- Additional required to do v-ray based backups with BackupExec?

As explained previously - totally independend of NetBackup and Appliance.
Best to use one product (NetBackup) for all backups. 

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Veritas has two different backup products, BackupExec and NetBackup. Apart of a few shared libraries they have nothing in common and address different markets.

Hence two things:

1. NetBackup (NBU) appliance is just a hardware appliance. There is no software licenses included with it.

2. NBU appliance works only with NBU, it can be the only server in the domain or attached as a media server to another master in the domain. But you can't use BackupExec (BUE) with it.

Considering the above, you will need to forfeight your existing BUE licenses and buy a whole new set of NBU licenses to cover the required aspects of data protection in your landscape unless there is a promo that your local Veritas is running to swap out/buy back your existing BUE licenses to sweeten the switch.

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

For completeness, Veritas SKU 16444-M4211 description is:-

"NETBACKUP APPLIANCE 5240 14TB 4 1GB ETHERNET - 2 10GBT CU ETHERNET - 2 10GB SFP ETHERNET - 2 8GB FIBRE CHANNEL STANDARD APPLIANCE + ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE BUNDLE INITIAL 48MO CORPORATE"

which is a 14 TB 5240 Appliance, I/O Option "C" and 4 years of "Essential" (4-Hr Onsite) hardware support. It does not include any NetBackup software licences. As Marianne says you should work with your reseller to get a proper picture of the proposed solution, licensing needs etc.

Andrew