cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU upgrade advice

mroutrider
Level 2

Hello All,
What versions of NBU (not appliance) are you running today? What O/S for your master server?

I recently took over an NBU environment that is running 8.1.1 on RHEL 7. 

Historically, I have been a Windows admin with some Unix/Linux experience. Currently I the Netapp administrator but also maintain the backup environment.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what version to move to and what O/S to use for the Master server. I'm leaning towards 9.1 (or should it be 9.1.0.1?) on Windows Server 2019 (doesn't look like 2022 is compatible?). 

I also don't necessarily need to bring the existing backups/catalogs to the new installation.

Thanks for any tips/advice!

5 REPLIES 5

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

I would not take 9.1.0.1 as new NBU release, instead I would start thinking about most recent one which is 10.2.0.1, so it is already having some fixes included compared to 10.2.

By using most recent you will be not have to upgrade too soon

Product Version Release Date(GA) Extended Support Starts Sustaining Support Starts End of Support Life Date(EOSL)
NetBackup - Enterprise Server 9.1.0.1 2021-09-07 2024-06-07 To Be Determined -
Product Version Release Date(GA) Extended Support Starts Sustaining Support Starts End of Support Life Date(EOSL)
NetBackup - Enterprise Server 10.2.0.1 2023-06-19 To Be Determined To Be Determined -

above was taken from https://sort.veritas.com/eosl

I am not sure what are you backup targets but IMHO it makes more sense to use most recent one.

We are on 10.0.0.1 - looking forward at 10.2.0.1 but in first place some prerequisites has to be met on our end.

Thanks for your input, I'm aware of the EOSL dates. I tend to shy away from new releases, 10.2.0.1 was only released to GA about a month ago. Far to soon IMHO.

Guessing from your profile picture that you are running on Linux? 

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

Yes, majority of installations are on Linux. It is because we do protect mainly WINDOWS env, so in case of attack I am hoping backup infrastructure will survive.

About 10.2.0.1 I think this is still better choice then 9.1.0.1 not to mention that 10.2 was major release and 10.2.0.1 is already 'patched' one ;) like 9.1 vs 9.1.0.1 ;)

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We are still using 10.0.0.1 because that's the last version supported by OpsCenter.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

IMO, I’d take Mr Q’s experienced wisdom… if you can, go with latest.   I get safeharbour with switching LAN/SAN, and minus one version for storage arrays, but not with NetBackup.