cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.6 Windows 2012 Storage Server HP StoreEasy

advnm
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

I have a an HP StoreEasy appliance that needs backed up.  It's running Windows 2012 Storage Server and per the most recent SCL that's not supported as a NetBackup 7.6 client.  I have ~40TB of data on this.  I'm also running NBU 5230's for master and media servers.  Please provide thoughts on the following scenarios. 

1.  Install NBU 7.6 client although it's not technically supported. 

OR

2.  Mount the shares on a Windows 2008 R2 server and backup the shares leveraging Accelerator & Client sided dedupe.  Would there be an issue recovering ACLs?

OR

3.  What would you recommend?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DaveM16
Level 4
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

I'd now go with your option 1. as it is now supported.

A new version of the NetBackup 7.x Operating System Compatibility List (OSCL) is up on the web: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

NetBackup Client and Media Server are supported on Microsoft Storage Server 2012.

NetBackup Client is supported on Microsoft Storage Server 2012 R2

There is no intention of ever supporting 2012 storage server as a master.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hello,

i would prefer to go with the option 2, (but needs to check how Accelerator & Client sided dedupe work on the shares)

Mount the shares on a Windows 2008 R2 server and backup the shares leveraging Accelerator & Client sided dedupe. 

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

I'm with Nagalla on this one. Option 2 is your best path

advnm
Level 2

Thanks for your thoughts.  Here are the results.

Backed up 72GB in ~55min @ 22050KB/sec. 

got this each time I ran the job:  'not using change journal data for <\\cifs\share\>:forcing rescan, each file will be read in order to validate the checksums.'

Client side deduplication worked great but the enumeration was lengthy.  Was hoping accelerator would work smoother but i'm still working on it.

nathanmike
Level 4
Partner
@advnm, Regarding option 1: Forget about it. If it is not supported, don't even try it. Regarding option 2: The problem of accelerator is that it keep track of block changes in a localy (regular file) on the client. For each records, it will associate a checksum used for the next job to know what was changed since the last backup. If for some reason, the checksum does not match or the tracking log database is not accessible, it will scan the entire file system and run a full backup. this is what you are facing: "'not using change journal data for <\\cifs\share\>:forcing rescan, each file will be read in order to validate the checksums.'" As the checksum is not correct, it will rescan (force rescan) the entire volume and do a full backup, again and again untill the checksum is correct. the only solution for you is to do the following: - Make sure no job are running for this client - Stop netbackup client service - delete All subfolders under c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\track - restart netbackup client service - run a new full backup for this client in order to rebuild the tracking log database - run another full to see if it validate the checksum and send less Kb to the media server About ACLs restore (see Netbackup 7.5 admin guide Vol I pg 119-121), they will be restored except under the following condition: - cross-platform restore - tar modification outside netbackup To restore data without ACLs, the following condition must be met: - MS-Windows Policy type - Restore must be done from BAR GUI on netbackup server (windows or Unix) - destination and source client must be running windows Regarding option 3: I did a lot of test with Accelerator, NT journaling and TIR (Tru Image for synthetic backup) and it depend on the type of data you need to backup. You can take in consideration the following: - For fileserver with dynamics data for which there are a lot of changes (user home dir, shared document, packages ...) do a traditionnal backup without any of the above features (Accelerator, NT journaling or TIR) like this: In the same Policy per Client: => 1 Weekly full scheduled => 1 daily differential/incremental scheduled I do everyday backup of fileserver for ~30TB - For Client with statics data (no regular changes like c:\, / ...) you can combine it with one of the above feature But As your appliance is not supported by Symantec, you should export through NFS (or CIFS) your data and take regular backup from the target (DFS, NFS Client ....) but you will face a problem with ACLs because they are stored on the source which is not supported (example: on Solaris, NFS mounted resources with acls will not be restored. You need to take backup from the source to restore ACLs)

nathanmike
Level 4
Partner

Please find below two screen shot of ACLs restore for Windows type

nathanmike
Level 4
Partner

Please find below two screen shot of ACLs restore for UNIX type

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Still no support for Microsoft Storage Server 2012 after NBU 7.6.0.2 release:

Extract from latest NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) :    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

NetBackup Client, Master Server and Media Server are not currently supported on Microsoft Storage Server 2012.

DaveM16
Level 4
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

I'd now go with your option 1. as it is now supported.

A new version of the NetBackup 7.x Operating System Compatibility List (OSCL) is up on the web: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

NetBackup Client and Media Server are supported on Microsoft Storage Server 2012.

NetBackup Client is supported on Microsoft Storage Server 2012 R2

There is no intention of ever supporting 2012 storage server as a master.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

And so the world changes in a couple of days! 

I downloaded the 8 May version of the OS CL yesterday.
8 May was NBU 7.6.0.2 release date!

New DB agent CL as well: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126904