cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 5.0 Solaris 9, Tape Selection Problem

MT_Sol10
Level 3
Hello Netbackup People

I have seen the error message below and wanted to ask for a little help with it because something is puzzling me.

06/29/2009 02:30:50 Error bpbrm (pid-8960) from client *** : ERR - File /var/adm/acct/nite/wtmperror shrunk by 612509582 bytes
06/29/2009 02:39:48 Error bptm (pid-8948) Media Manager Volume pool matm-cumul has no more unassigned media in robotic device TLD(0)
06/29/2009 02:39:48 Error bpbrm (pid-4990) backup of client *** exited with status 96 (unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available)
06/29/2009 04:17:56 Error bpbrm (pid-4990) backup of client *** exited with status 96 (unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available)
unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available

A little background;

The error above occurred on an incremental job that runs every Wed-Mon, There are two tapes from the inc-pool in the tape device at any one time, in this case tape mtm030 and tape mtm019
The job above failed while using mtm030, this was because mtm030 had become full. All subsequent inc-backup jobs wanting to use tapes from this pool also failed for error 96

My Question;

Why when there is another tape in the inc-pool (tape mtm019) was it not used to continue this and the subsequent inc jobs.

Regards
MT

6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Density (HCART/HCART3) - are they the same/correct?
Tape frozen or suspended?
Tape passed its physical expiry date?
Are there images on the tape with a different retention period to those of the Q'd jobs? NetBackup does not mix retention periods by default.
Maximum number of mounts reached for tape?

The following commands should assist in the above:

vmquery -m <media_id>
bpmedialist -m <media_id>

Question for you: your subject line states NetBackup 5.0 Solaris 10 - is this a typo? My belief that NB6.0 was the minimum for Solaris 10 support.

Will_Restore
Level 6
the 2nd volume is probably unusable for one of the reasons stated above.

and Netbackup 5.x supports Solaris 10 - miniumum levels 5.0 MP4 & 5.1 MP2
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/263839.pdf

MT_Sol10
Level 3
Andy you are quite right was a typo, NB 5.0 is running on Solaris 9, sorry for the confussion.

I think you hit the nail on the head with retention periods. I'll have a closer look at this, but i already know these are out of sync.
Thankyou very much for your advice!

Regards
MT

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
not sure what compatibility matrix I was looking at! ;)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
***Edit***
Another duplicate posting!!!

What the b****** h***'s wrong with this site today? :-s

Will_Restore
Level 6
not as a duplicate post, rather as onsite copy #2 :)