cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 5.1 upgrade to 6.5

Project_Man
Level 4
All,
I am looking for imformation on upgrade paths and the processes for upgrading.
We have an audit issue that is forcing us to upgrade from version 5.1 to 6.5 in a hurry.
Is there a direct upgrade path? Is it recommended?
What is the process for upgrading, is it just an .exe? Me being hopeful :)

All information is welcome.
Thanks for your time in this matter
2 REPLIES 2

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have a look into Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 Upgrade Portal

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290185.htm

Details:
Many improvements have been made to Symantec's Veritas NetBackup that make it much more robust to meet the needs of our customers, including several core architecture changes. Because of these changes and the number of new features that NetBackup now offers, Symantec encourages the upgrade of any systems running a pre-6.5 version to the latest version of NetBackup 6.5.

For details on upgrading from NetBackup 6.0 to 6.5, see Chapter 4: Upgrading NetBackup in the NetBackup 6.5 Installation Guides.  These documents contain the requirements, upgrade steps and other information needed for a successful upgrade.  At this time there is no separate document for upgrading a NetBackup 6.0 environment to NetBackup 6.5.

For details on upgrading from NetBackup 5.x to 6.5 a separate document has been created.  This document is meant to assist customers upgrading their NetBackup 5.x environment directly to NetBackup 6.5. This upgrade guide contains a number of additional steps have been identified as critically important to the upgrade process. These steps are crucial and must be verified and/or performed before the actual installation of NetBackup 6.5.  Some of the added topics include:
  • Information on where to locate minimum system and environment requirements
  • A checklist of items and procedures that should be verified and backed up prior to beginning an upgrade
  • A detailed walk through of the upgrade process, that provides the appropriate upgrade information in existing NetBackup documents and published TechNotes.

These additional steps are primarily intended to address many environmental and functional issues that typically did not surface in earlier versions of NetBackup.

The Symantec's Veritas NetBackup (tm) 5.x to 6.5 Upgrade Guide can be found at:
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/290141

nairdheeraj
Level 4
It would nice if you can give details on the Netbackup environment that you are running, Like OS version etc.

Basically the upgrade process is simple but if the nesscary care is not taken it could take you for a ride.

From my personal experience I would suggest you to go through the below document first and start working on the nbcc output which is the most critical.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290141.htm

Once you have obtained a clear output for NBCC it should easy to complete the upgrade.

Just to put it short

Run NBCC (Try to obtain clear output. There might be some silly errors which refuse to be cleaned up which I would say you will need to live with). To get a clean output it would nice to have a case open with Support as they would assist you with certain scripts that will help you obtain a consistant DB.

Then you need to install NB 6.5 on the master. 

Run nbpushdata -add

After this the upgrade of the master is complete.

Then you are good to go.

If you have exclusive media servers you will need to install NB 6.5 and then run nbpushdata there as well.