cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore is not getting displayed while restoring VM

Reddy333
Level 3

Hello,

My master server is RHEL7.2, and my client  is RHEl VM.

I am working on NBU7.7.3.

I am able to do back of whole VM by selecting policy type as 'vmware'.

But while restoring in restore tab  by selecting 'normal backup', i am not able to see restorefile,

"there are no files matching the criteria" error is showing.

when i select "virtual machine backups", I am able to see vmdkfile.

I need to restore pirticular files to the same RHEL VM. by selecting "normal backup"

Please show me the solution for this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems my reference to Compatibility is getting ignored.

Please see Table 12: VMware guest operating systems supported for file-level recovery in Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x and 8.x in a Virtual Environment     

For RHEL 7 it says:
Note: File-level recovery is supported for virtual machines that use the 32-bit
version of the ext4 file system. Support for file-level recovery of the ext4 64-bit file
system starts at NetBackup 8.0.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Look when you make restores using by selecting "Normal Backups", you need to specify in  Policy type for Restore, the correctly policy type..In this scenario you have a VMware policy type, and you want make a granular recovery right? Your client is a Red Hat, in this case change the Policy type for Restore from VMware to Standard.

Example:Restore2.jpg

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro

GeForce123
Level 5

Are you sure you have file level recovery enabled under the VMware tab in the policy? Could you provide the bpplinfo output for the policy that is backing up the VM you are trying to restore.

bpplinfo is located in admincmd.

Marianne
Level 6
Have you checked Compatability Guides to see if the OS and filesystem is supported for granular restore?

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

@Thiago_Ribeiro shows instructions for Exchange. That's not the case here, given that the client is Linux.

I think restoring files from a VMware backup requires an SLP operation to extend the catalog with "granular" details. I'm not an expert in how to do that. I suggest you look in the NetBackup documentation for keywords from the preceding sentence.

Internally and in some logs, we call what you want to do "single file restore" (SFR), but I don't think we use that phrase in the documentation because SFR also refers to Simplified File Restore in OpsCenter, which is something completely different.

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

@Lowell_Palecek,

You are right its not for Exchange, I gave him an example of nbu restore console just it. Restore3.jpg

From documentation the correct term is "Restore Individual Files", but for me and some coleagues here in brazil is common said "granular" for this restore type. Its a kind of slang. I know that this term belongs Exchange backups & restores.

Regards,

Thiago

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion 

while I am doing restore, I have changed policy type from VMware to standard. still it shows "there are no files matching specific criteria."

Yes my client is RHEL VM, and i am doing granular recovery.

Master is also RHEL.

still not able to see the restore file .

Marianne
Level 6

Seems my reference to Compatibility is getting ignored.

Please see Table 12: VMware guest operating systems supported for file-level recovery in Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x and 8.x in a Virtual Environment     

For RHEL 7 it says:
version of the ext4 file system. Support for file-level recovery of the ext4 64-bit file

Hello Marianne,

Thank you for the reference, it helped me finding the issue.

I was going through the "NetBackup-7x-8x-in-virtual-environments" document.

The same thing i was going through the doucment which you provided below

For RHEL 7 it says:

My current Environment is mentioned below for NBU 7.7.3:

Master server is  Physical machine i.e., (RHEL 7.3, 64-bit XFS file system).

And client is RHEL 7.2 VM machine with ext4 64-bit file system.

According to the "NetBackup-7x-8x-in-virtual-environments" document  

File level recovery is not supported.

Can you please let me by seeing my environment details, wheather restore is  possibele or not?

Thank you for your inputs.

Marianne
Level 6

Not sure what else you are expecting here.
I have pointed out what is supported and what not, then you repeated everything I said....

As per the "NetBackup-7x-8x-in-virtual-environments" doc, you need to upgrade to version 8.0 for File-level recovery of this VM.

File-level recovery is simply not possible with your current NBU version.
You can only restore full VM.

Thank you  very much  Marianne.