cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Alta™ Recovery Vault Tips – #1 - Authentication Failed, RDSM has encountered an STS error

GNeil
Level 4
Employee

Hi Friends,

I ran into an interesting error today while setting up a Veritas Alta™ Recovery Vault bucket.  This was a really weird error and wanted to share it with you in the event you run into it.  This is the first blog in a series of Veritas Alta™ Recovery Vault Tech Tips.

For those of you that haven’t set up Alta Recovery Vault and want to follow along, take a look at the Veritas Alta™ Recovery Vault Deployment Guide. 

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/NetBackupRecoveryVaultGuide

Starting on page 8 for Azure and page 19 for AWS.

In my case I was setting up an Azure bucket, but it won’t really matter.

I got to the step where I now will connect to my new Veritas Alta™ Recovery Vault bucket by entering in my credentials and clicking on the Retrieve List button. (Remember you’ll only see this when connecting to Azure, AWS doesn’t have this step.  But you will hit this issue when you finish your configurations and click on the Finish button.)

GNeil_0-1662740181827.png

Normally everything connects great, but this time I got an Authentication Failed, RDSM has encountered an STS error: getDiskVolumeInfoList.

A lot of times this can be due to port 443 or 80 being blocked, but this time the error was Authentication Failed and I knew the credentials were good!

GNeil_1-1662740181829.png

Let me do a little background explaining on Veritas Alta™ Recovery Vault.  It’s a really cool storage as a service offered by Veritas that allows you to store copies of data in either Azure or AWS and you don’t need your own cloud account, Veritas provides it for you.  Supports both WORM/Immutability or not.

By default, to connect to the storage bucket Veritas uses TLS 1.2 and HTTPS to connect to Azure or AWS.  For this to happen port 443 needs to be opened outbound on the MSDP-C/Storage Server.  Veritas also offers solutions for customers that want to use Azure ExpressRoute and/or AWS Direct Connect.

Turns out my storage server’s time was not correct, so installed an NTP client and synched to an NTP server and that fixed the problem!

Here’s a helpful site that has the commands you’ll need to setup your NTP client.

https://orcacore.com/install-configure-ntp-server-client-centos-7/

How to tell if your Linux server’s time is correct?  Run a “date” command and see if the time is off.

Be on the lookout for article #2!

0 REPLIES 0