cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup job having issues

goose325
Level 3

I'm using Netbackup 7.7.2 and have an audit log that is being backed up daily.  Recently the differential backups have exploded in size, jumping from a Gb or less to over 4 TBs in size.  I've checked the size of the directory being backed up and it's around 5.1 Gb in total size and the audit logs are inconsistent with the size of the backups being reported by Netbackup.  Any ideas or assistance would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@goose325 
I moved your post in the 'General Veritas' forum to the NetBackup forum.

Please help us to to help you by giving us as much info as possible.

Firstly - is the problem seen across all clients and policies or just some?
which OS on the Client(s)?
What is the Policy Type of the problematic backup(s)?

What does the Policy config look like?
Please show us Policy config for one of problematic jobs:
bppllist <policy-name> -U
(Please post the test output here)

When last did a successful full or diff backup run?
Please show us backup info for one of the clients :
bpimagelist -client <name> -d 11/01/2020 -U

If Windows Client - what is selected in Host Properties for Incremental backups -
Archive bit or Timestamp?

is the problem seen across all clients and policies or just some? - Just one particular policy and one ndmp client in multiple workcenters

which OS on the Client(s)?  Oracke ZFS appliance

What is the Policy Type of the problematic backup(s)?

What does the Policy config look like? - due to the nature of the system I'm unable to include this information
Please show us Policy config for one of problematic jobs:
bppllist <policy-name> -U
(Please post the test output here)

When last did a successful full or diff backup run?  The jobs are running successfully just reporting a backup job size of over 4 TB when the source directory is only 5Gb in size

Please show us backup info for one of the clients :
bpimagelist -client <name> -d 11/01/2020 -U  Unable to provide this information due to the nature of the system

If Windows Client - what is selected in Host Properties for Incremental backups -
Archive bit or Timestamp?  N/A

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@goose325 

Did you run those commands and looked at the output?

It is perfectly possible to post the output and replace unique info such as client name with generic client name, e.g. Client1.

For Policy info, all I am interested in is the Policy Type and the schedules.
There is no user or company info in this output.
Same for bpimagelist. not even Client name will be displayed in the output.

About your Filer backup - if your Policy type is NDMP and the backup method is DUMP, you may want to check if this appliance also relies on /etc/dumpdates for incremental backups.

See this TN: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100003583

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

By any chance, are you taking snapshots of the volumes and have your backup policies configured so that those snapshots get backed up too ? That would account for a sudden jump in backup size if there's a lot of new activity going on.