cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing for Windows Server 2008 R2 - OS not recognized

sbernar2
Not applicable
At my company we use Storage Foundation extensively for managing disks in SQL Server cluster.  We are in the process of evaluating Windows Server 2008 R2 on an HP Proliant DL380 G6 server.  As a volume license customer with Microsoft with Software Assurance, we have access to the full GA version of Windows Server 2008 R2, and not a beta or release candidate.

However, when I try to install SFW 5.1 on Win2K8 R2, I fail with the following errors at the Validation screen:

Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 for Windows (Client Components)

OS error 
    Operating system not supported.

Operating system requirements:
    Windows XP Professional
    Windows 2003 Server
    Windows Vista
    Windows Server 2008

Operating system installed:
    Unknown Operating System, with Service Pack 0

Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 for Windows (Server Components)

OS error 
    Operating system not supported.

Operating system requirements:
    Windows Server 2008, with Service Pack 0
    Windows Server 2008 Server Core Edition , with Service Pack 0
    Windows 2003 Server, with Service Pack 1

Operating system installed:
    Unknown Operating System, with Service Pack 0

Clearly the problem is that 5.1 isn't recent enough to detect 2008 R2.  Is there a hotfix or workaround or beta release that I could use to make this installation succeed?  We would like to perform our load tests by the end of the week if at all possible.  Please let me know if there are any options.

Thanks,

-Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

HI Marianne, Support for Windows 2008 SP2/R2 will be included with 5.1 SP1 update which is planned to be released near the end of the month. (if all goes to plan)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Currently, SFW 5.1 does not support Windows 2008 R2 or SP2 according to our Software Compatibility List document. (AFAIK rough ETA for support is sometime end of year with an update but I may be wrong still) Maybe a workaround exists to get it pass the validation (such as fooling our installer to thinking it's a supported version of Windows) but this still doesn't guarantee that SFW will work properly in Windows 2008 R2 once installed. I'm quite sure there isn't any hofix or a beta release of SFW publicly available so the only recommendation I can give is to either open a case with our support team to get a clear confirmation of what's possible or not use Windows 2008 R2 and use Windows 2008 SP1 which we do support.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Jay
is there any update yet regarding support for W2008 R2? I've heard that 5.1 MP1 will support it, but cannot find any documentation to support it. Any idea when MP1 will be released?

Jay_Kim
Level 5

HI Marianne, Support for Windows 2008 SP2/R2 will be included with 5.1 SP1 update which is planned to be released near the end of the month. (if all goes to plan)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Thanks Jay
5.1 SP1 is available on Fileconnect for download.
There is a full version for new installations and upgrade from pre-5.1 versions (SlipStream in name) as well as upgrade version if upgrading from 5.1 (Upgrade in name).

VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_SP1_Windows_32_SlipStream.zip
VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_SP1_Windows_64_SlipStream.zip

VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_and_VCS_5.1_SP1_Windows_32_Upgrade.zip
VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_and_VCS_5.1_SP1_Windows_64_Upgrade.zip 

Steve, I'm sure you can now mark Jay's post as Solution.