cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Custom Monthly Backups - Question? Why not First Sunday of the Month?

markolarko
Level 2
My Scheduled backups take place at 22:00 each night. These are incremental.

I would like to start a New base backup on the first Sunday of every month.

Unfortunately Backup Exec System Restore does not have this facility.

It will do any day (1,2,3,4,5,... last day) of the month but not First second or third Monday, Tuesday ...etc of a month.

Why do I need this facility...?  Because it makes more sense - as I know what and when I schedule maintenance etc by which DAY (Sunday) I take the system down and when no other users are attached. By scheduling it by day of the month (1,2,3,4,..) does not help me manage my Server the way I would like to manage it.

Is this a request that I can formalise so it can be forwarded as a feature upgrade request?
8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

markolarko
Level 2
Maybe I should rephrase the question:

Is there anyway using BESR so that I can schedule backups to occur on the first Sunday of any Month?

This is not an 'IDEA' it is a straight forward no fluff system requirement. If Microsofts Basic Backup program can do it - they see the need - then I would have thought that it can not be too difficult to emulate - given this bit of software has been around for the past 5 years.

While I admire the core software and the technologies being used to protect my server I do think that the single most important aspect of designing a backup strategy has to be 'the how and when' 

Only to be able to schedule for a particular 'number of days' into the month is illogical. We humans work on a Monday to Friday/Saturday rota in the commercial / office world. Sundays are when we do shutting own and maintenance of systems etc. So why cant we designate a backup to take place on the first Sunday of a month?  

Could it be a religious thing - or am I wide of the mark!

Cheers 

Mark

PS: Any help or direction on this would be a real help!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
I think you can't do it without any VBS scripting:
You could write a script that determines the date of the first sunday and adapt the schedule of your backup job accordingly.

markolarko
Level 2
Thanks Markus...

As a matter of interest - I am I alone in this request for doing my thing on a Sunday?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

For me a full backup once a month is definitely no sufficient, however I would appricate the possibility to schedule backups on specific (1st,2nd,..) weeksday of a month.

DBrundage
Not applicable
I am looking for the first Saturday or Sunday of the month base backup function as well.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you found a solution ?

Dan378
Not applicable

I have a office i am backing up 5 times a week. I would also like to have a monthly and yearly backup. Is there a way i can do this and if so how would i go about it? The software i am using is Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 and it is running on  2008 Server R2 64bit.