cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is it recommended to add another vault server

PoorAdmin
Level 6

I am archiving 1500 mailboxes. Everything appears to be okay but, I'd like to know when should I add another server to share the tasks. Are there and metrics to look at or guidelines to use?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Generally I look at my nightly archiving, unless I'm using very agressive archiving (less than 30 days) then I look at client access.  If you are archiving everything available in a 4-6 hour window you should be okay for the rest of the performance.

If you are using a more agressiive policy then you might want to look at the client access performance, Vault cache rebuilds, etc...

BTW, on a normal server (8 core/16GB RAM) you can generally support ~5,000 users for mailbox archiving. (Mileage may vary based on policy, user email volume, etc...)

View solution in original post

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Agreed with WiTSend, as long as you are able to complete your nightly archiving within your scheduled time you should be ok.

You can use the Archiving Reports to see how long nightly archiving is taking.

TS

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Generally I look at my nightly archiving, unless I'm using very agressive archiving (less than 30 days) then I look at client access.  If you are archiving everything available in a 4-6 hour window you should be okay for the rest of the performance.

If you are using a more agressiive policy then you might want to look at the client access performance, Vault cache rebuilds, etc...

BTW, on a normal server (8 core/16GB RAM) you can generally support ~5,000 users for mailbox archiving. (Mileage may vary based on policy, user email volume, etc...)

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Agreed with WiTSend, as long as you are able to complete your nightly archiving within your scheduled time you should be ok.

You can use the Archiving Reports to see how long nightly archiving is taking.

TS

PoorAdmin
Level 6

Thank you.