Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Exchange 2013 database restore successful - but database not mountable / dirty shutdown

Hi,  Currently testing disaster recovery of an exchange 2013 server with Backup Exec 2014. Backup job taken successfully with BE Windows Agent.  Successfully restored the server into a VM using SDR...
    8 years ago

I think that I have found the reason for my issue... (?!)

Today I just remembered something...
    It could be that I am wrong about the way restoring Exchange works.

Until now I have included the logfiles with the restore of the full backup.
    But - what does BE actually do with the logfiles when the backup job of Exchange runs?
    The database is backed up - and the logfiles are backed up - and flushed / deleted.

But can I be sure that the logs have been comitted to the database before the store i backed up? OR does BE do this before adding the store to the backup... I am not sure about this..

But in that case, I should not restore the logfiles. Only the latest full backup of the database.
    And then restore logfiles from a differential backup if that is desired (this is indeed needed for my testing)...

SO - I deleted all of the contents of the Exchange database folder and logs folder before restoring again.
    Marked the database as overwritable and ran a restore of a full backup excluding the logfiles backed up with the full backup job. In the same restore job I also included logfiles from a differential backup a few days later.

And Voila!!! The jobs was successful.
    And this time, the store was mounted automatically after restore and working..

Regards
    Thomas