Forum Discussion

nthnu
Level 5
8 years ago

Optimal settings?

We have a hand-me-down HP Ultrium 3000 tape drive and it's connected to our Windows 2003 server with Backup Exec 10 R3. Would you have any recommendations on the tape drive and max compression settings?

Thanks

9 Replies

• nthnu wrote:

We have a hand-me-down HP Ultrium 3000 tape drive and it's connected to our Windows 2003 server with Backup Exec 10 R3. Would you have any recommendations on the tape drive and max compression settings?

Thanks

That is an LTO5 tape drive and it is a good model.  Obviously your server OS and BE version are very old.  So old that I don't think that LTO5 is supported with BE 10.  Uneless you meant Backup Exec 2010 R3?

I don't believe there ever was a "max compression" setting for a tape drive.  Assuming htat you are using hardware compression within the tape drive, then the compression is handled totally by the tape drive and Backup Exec has no control over the compression ratio.

nthnu
      Level 5

It's Server 2003 R2 and BE 2010 R3, and the tape shows as media type LTO (I haven't found an LTO5 specific listing) and shows as 1.5TB.

So if I unchecked "enable compression" on the drive, and on the backup job set "compression type" to none, the tape drive should compress it on its own, right?

Colin_Weaver

You have to set compression type = hardware

If you set it to none BE will tell the drive to not compress.