Forum Discussion

TSEP
Level 2
8 years ago

thecus N8800PRO NAS is identified as windows computer by backupexec 16

Hello,

I'm using an evaluation version of BackupExec 16, trying to do a backup of a cifs share located on a thecus N8800PRO NAS. When i added the NAS to the default "All Servers" group, i've selected the option "Fileserver or NDMP-Dataserver". But when the configuration wizard is finished, the "ServerType" property of the newly added server is "Windows-Computer". I've tried to select the option "Linux-Computer" as well, but i got the same results. When i create a backjob and edit/test the login account information, the connection to the server is successfully established, but the connection to the share fails, though the same login account information is configured. When i run the backupjob, the job fails also.

Anyways, i'm wondering why the "ServerType" property is displayed as "Windows Computer", even though the thecus N8800PRO NAS runs a linux operating system. Has someone experienced this behavior before? Might someone tell me, what i might be doing wrong?

2 Replies

• BE will always identify the NAS as Windows if you add it as a CIFS file server.  It does not matter what OS is used on the NAS and this identification does not affect your backups.

TSEP
      Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

Meanwhile i've found the reason why the backup job didn't work. I had set the networkinterface to a fixed interface instead of any interface in the network configuration dialog of the job. That made the backup job fail.After switching back to any interface the backup worked.