Forum Discussion

uvahpux
Level 4
11 years ago

dmp 5.1SP1PR2 installation prevents RHEL 6.4 server to boot

Hello All,

The dmp 5.1SP1PR2  installation is completing but it unable to start it. getting follwing error

Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing Startup did not complete successfully

vxdmp failed to start on ddci-oml1
vxio failed to start on ddci-oml1
vxspec failed to start on ddci-oml1
vxconfigd failed to start on ddci-oml1
vxesd failed to start on ddci-oml1

It is strongly recommended to reboot the following systems:
        ddci-oml1

Execute '/sbin/shutdown -r now' to properly restart your systems

After reboot, run the '/opt/VRTS/install/installdmp -start' command to start Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing

installdmp log files, summary file, and response file are saved at:

after reboot also it is not starting. i installed sfha-rhel6_x86_64-5.1SP1PR2RP4 rolloing patch and took a reboot, the server is stuck to start during the boot process. i am seeing the error messages from the console as below

vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-7840 cannot open /dev/vs/config: Device is already open 

ln: creating symbolic link '/dev/vx/rdmp/dmp'file exits

/bin/mknod/ '/dev/vx/config': File exits

Loading vxdmp module

Loading vxio module

Loading vxspec module

the server is stuck at here also i cannot take it to single user mode for trouble shooting.

Kindly help me on this issue.

Thanks and regards

Uv

• Can you attach the install logs ? Was there any other error during installation ? Is it only the DMP installation or you are installing whole SF ? Did you do a rom --verify & confirm if package is installed without errors ?

Try booting from CD/network in single user mode, Try to create a file (/etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db), this file will make sure that vxvm doesn't start during boot time. Once system is booted

paste below

# cat /etc/system

Try starting vxconfigd manually here

# vxiod set 10
    # vxconfigd -m disable
    # vxdctl init <hostname>

# vxdctl enable

Let us know if you are able to start vxconfigd manually.

In the mean time, something worth to look in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO79855

G

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • dmp_native_support determines whether DMP will do multi-pathing for native devices.
    ideally the tunable should be set to on to have DMP do multi-pathing for native devices.

After turning the tunable to off, are you able to get multipathing between luns ? Are you able to see paths & run a vxdmpadm stat & see if all paths are getting utilized.

G

• Hi Gauvrav,

Thanks for the reply, I have managed to bring the server online.

I need to install dmp alone as i will be using the LVM for disk management along with vcs,  so i installed DMP 5.1_SP1_RP2_RHEL6.x and took a reboot of the server. after reboot I updated the sfha rhel6_x86_64-5.1SP1PR2RP4 patches and did the vxdmpadm settune dmp_native_support=off.

the server is coming online without issues, could you please tell me the parameter should be set on or it can be off, As i am not going to use VxVM.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards

Uv

• Can you attach the install logs ? Was there any other error during installation ? Is it only the DMP installation or you are installing whole SF ? Did you do a rom --verify & confirm if package is installed without errors ?

Try booting from CD/network in single user mode, Try to create a file (/etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db), this file will make sure that vxvm doesn't start during boot time. Once system is booted

paste below

# cat /etc/system

Try starting vxconfigd manually here

# vxiod set 10
    # vxconfigd -m disable
    # vxdctl init <hostname>

# vxdctl enable

Let us know if you are able to start vxconfigd manually.

In the mean time, something worth to look in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO79855

G