Forum Discussion

15 years ago

Any best practise for windows 2008 R2 Mirroring volume...

Hi all, We are testing Windows 2008 R2, and storage foundation 5.1 SP1, but we have a lot of problem with mirroring system drive (volume C). First, when installing W2K8 R2 a system volume catch...
    15 years ago
    Hi MM_StephanP,

I've set this up in VMWare Server with two 30GB disks.  My OS was installed on SCSI0:0 and my other disk is on SCSI0:1.

I installed Windows 2008 R2 and SFW 5.1 SP1. 

I upgraded the disk that has the C: (OS) drive to dynamic and added in my secondary disk.

I then added a mirror of the C: drive to be on my secondary disk and allowed them to fully synchronize.

When the resync process was done, I shutdown the server.

In the VMWare server console, I removed the original OS disk that was assigned to SCSI0:0.

When I rebooted I was presented with a boot menu that asked which copy of Windows to boot into ("Windows Server 2008 R2" or "Windows Server 2008 R2 - secondary plex".) 

I selected "Windows Server 2008 R2 - secondary plex" and hit enter. 

The server booted as norm/expected.

I'm not able to reproduce any erors or problems with this process.  Can you please go into more details on what you are doing and what errors you are getting? 

Thanks,
    Wally

FYI - Keep in mind that the Boot and System drives/volumes must be in a Windows compatible disk group in order to mirror them.  This means that you are limited to the funcationality of Windows Disk Manager and not by SFW on what you can do to these disks/volumes.  It also means that even if SFW is uninstalled your server will boot.