Forum Discussion

Ryan_VDW
Level 3
15 years ago

Install Puredisk 6.6 inside VM on ESX4i

Hi there

I am setting up a Puredisk Trial for a potential new customer. The requires that we install Puredisk into a VM on a server running ESX4i.

I know that running Puredisk 6.5.x was supported running on an ESX VM, and on our Symantec training course they ran Puredisk inside a VM.

The PDOS installation seems to go OK, however when I start the storage pool installation wizard from the installer web page the wizard seems to be unable to discover any disks on my VM, neither internal, external or shared.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
  •  Hello Ryan,

I'd recommend deploying the PureDisk Virtual Appliance (PDVA 6.6) which has been released beginning of this week. I assume that you selected the Install option using PDOS and that you have two virtual disks for this VM? If so you can logon onto the console and setup /Storage yourself (launch Yast/System/VxVM/Create a Disk Group/Create a Volume/Choose VxFS for the file system and make sure that the volume is mounted under /Storage).

Reboot to be on the safe side and launch the installer gui again. When arriving on the screen where you have to specify the disk groups just skip ahead, the system should detect that there is already a /Storage and allow you to continue.

With kind regards,

Filip

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  •  Hello Ryan,

I'd recommend deploying the PureDisk Virtual Appliance (PDVA 6.6) which has been released beginning of this week. I assume that you selected the Install option using PDOS and that you have two virtual disks for this VM? If so you can logon onto the console and setup /Storage yourself (launch Yast/System/VxVM/Create a Disk Group/Create a Volume/Choose VxFS for the file system and make sure that the volume is mounted under /Storage).

Reboot to be on the safe side and launch the installer gui again. When arriving on the screen where you have to specify the disk groups just skip ahead, the system should detect that there is already a /Storage and allow you to continue.

With kind regards,

Filip