Forum Discussion

13 years ago

I have mirrored the data in between two sotrage

Hi,

I am using Storage Foundation for windows HA, Now i wan to replace my old HP storage with new NetApp storage for this i mirrored the data of Exchange servers 2007. before removing the HP storage i just want to make sure the my mirrored data is consistent. Is there any tool or option in the SFWHA to check the data conssitency. I am also using VVR between two sites for teplication the DATA 

Sajid

14 Replies

• Hi Sajid,

I think vxverify will also return issues with mirror copies with the default settings in Windows with SFW 5.1.  By default, SFW 5.1 will only replicates used blocks in the filesystem.  As such, the vxverify will find that the unused blocks will be different. 

In 5.0, VVR copies only used blocks between sites and Mirrors did a fully block for block copy.

In 5.1 VVR and Mirror both copy only used blocks between plexes.

SFW requires that the file system be NTFS to determine which blocks are used and which ones are not.

Thank you,

Wally

• Thanks Mike,

Actually i didn't transfer the data with VVR. i mirrod the data between two storage volumes so i think vxverfiy is the useful utility to check the mirrod volumes. Let me check the vxverify utility and keep you posted.

Sajid

• Just to add, that the default read policy for mirrored voumes is round-robin, so unless you set the read policy to "preferred" (right click on volume and choose "Set Volume Usage" to see what it is set to), then your new array is aready being read, so if it was corrupt you would probably already have had problems.

In your instance I don't think you want to check VVR copies are the same, but in Windows I don't think this is possible.  I think the main reason for this is that when Windows first syncs copies in VVR it only syncs used blocks in the filesystem, so the volumes are not block for block the same.  In UNIX a full sync is done and you can check volumes are the same using "vradmin -verify syncvol|syncrvg".  This verify option is not available in the windows vradmin or vxrds command.

Mike

• Yes you can use vxverify - see extract from SFW Admin guide:

vxverify is a command that determines if there are any differences
    between plexes of mirrored volumes. This command compares the volumes on a
    block by block basis. Blocks that do not match are reported in the output.

Example
    vxverify -g Accounting test
    This command performs a comparison of the volume test of the disk group
    Accounting and its mirrors.

Mike