Forum Discussion

18 years ago

11d SQL Agent on an NT 4 box

I have read through much of the forum and I am sure uneasy about this upgrade but gotta move forward. I know I need the NT 4 remote agent for 11d to back up a couple of NT 4 servers still hanging around, but does anyone know if the 11d SQL agent will install on NT4. I know it is not supported, but has anyone tried it. Also, does anyone know if you can have an 11d SQL agent on an NT 4 box that also has a 9.1 remote agent. The server I am upgrading first to 11d backs up all my SQL databases (including some NT 4 servers with SQL 2000), but a different media server backups up the actual NT 4 server that the database is on. We have four media servers and we want to do one at a time and let it settle for a week or two.

3 Replies

• Afaik, you cannot have two remote agents installed on the same box.

SQL Agent is not installed on the remote client (sql server), only the remote agent. SQL Agent is installed at backup exec server.
  • Sorry, I didn't word it very well. I know the SQL agent does not physically install on the remote box. I just wondered if the SQL 11d agent, running on an 11d media server running W2K3 server SP1, would have any issue running a database backup from an NT 4 server that has a 9.1 Remote agent on it.
  • Hi Dave:

Backup Exec is only designed to be able to use a Remote Agent that is one version prior to the version installed on the media server. So a 9.1 Remote Agent cannot be used with a version 11D Media Server. There is also limited support for a file system backup of NT4 and you will not be able to utilize the SQL Agent unless the NT4 Machine is upgraded to Windows 2000 or 2003. What you will have to do is use the SQL Backup Utility to dump the data to disk, then use Backup Exec to backup the dump file (.bak).

Jay