Forum Discussion

Jacky_Wu
Level 3
15 years ago

About Favorite Resources and User-defined selections In BE2010

I am a fresh man about Backup Exc Product. In the "view by Resource tab", I could see the "Favorite Resource" and "User-defined Selections". How could I make the server I want to backup to be the "Favorite Resource" or "User-defined Selections"? Thanks very much!

5 Replies

• You don't have to add a resource to Favourite Resource to back it up.  I normally go to Domain to select the servers that I want to back up.  I use User-defined Selections if I want to back up a server which is not part of my domain.
  • You need to install remote agent on the remote servers which you want to backup.

Once you install remote agent on the remote servers those servers will appear under 'Windows Systems"  which is below "Favorite Resources"
  • Hi Jacky ,

Remember the Most important thing while using Backup exec .

Remote agent must be installed on remote server , in order to protect the server completely .

after this it will not matter from where you select the the server for backup

you can select the server from different hives :-

1 . select the server from "Favorite Resources".

2 . select it from "Domains->Active directory Domains"

3 . select it from "Domains->Microsoft Windows Network"

4. Add the server in "user defined" selection and then select for Backup .

Thanks & Regards .

Sharad Ail
  • Besides all the correct comments above, you of course could also add systems to user-defined selections by right clicking on it and choosing "manage user-defined selections" if you want to. Of course, like stated above there is no need to do that.

user-defined: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/254193.htm

favourite: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/309547.htm

Remote agent on the system you want to add is needed!

best regards

Dominik
  • When I try and add a new favourite it never appears. It seems to add fine credentials are OK but when I refresh it never appears.
    Any ideas?