Forum Discussion

dhebard
Level 2
20 years ago

B2D Information

I have read several post concerning B2D. I am looking for a white paper that explains the B2D process in BE. I have a specific question concerning backup of B2D to tape.

I am backing up daily to B2D folders on my server, ie Monday, Tuesday,etc. Then once a week I am backing up these B2D folders to tape.

My question is, how do I restore from the tape? I assume I have to restore to the media server and then restore to the data server.

Thanks

5 Replies

• You should be able to run a Duplicate Backup job. This will duplicate the backup data on the disk to a tape, rather than just backing up the B2D folders. In this way, you should be able to restore directly from tape.
  • I have looked at the duplication process and one thing has me stumped. Maybe I should explain my backup strategy a little further.

I have one BE server, and am backing up a remote Novell File server and a remote Exchange server. I have B2D folders set up to maintain 2 weeks worth of backups on the disk, i.e., Monday, Monday 2, Tuesday, Tuesday 2, and so on. I have separate jobs backing up Novell and Exchange because I use the OFO on Exchange and not Novell.

I have roughly 22 jobs that perform my nightly backups for both servers. I want to create a weekly job to backup or duplicate the backup sets in my B2D folders to tape.

Here is what has me stumped. Looking at the duplication process in which I can schedule the dup job, I have to select backup sets that are already existing. If I do this and schedule it to run weekly, then I have to go in and modify the selections each week to account for the backup sets that were created during the week. It does not appear to allow me to perform an all inclusive duplication of any backup sets on the server.

If I perform dup after each job, then I end up with 44 jobs.

Does this make any sense? Am I totally lost here?
  • You're making perfect sense. If you try to duplicate by clicking on the "New job to duplicate backup sets", it does appear that you can only select specific days. I'm not sure why it doesn't let you select an entire resource, or even all resources. I'm probably missing something there as well.

At any rate, you should be able to achieve your desired results by creating a policy that includes your daily backups, as well as a weekly duplicate job.

When you installed BE10, it should have created a template policy for a backup rotation that includes daily incrementals each night, a weekly full backup on Saturday night, and a duplicate job that runs on Sunday night and duplicates all other jobs for the week.

In your case, it sounds like you are doing full backups every night (correct me if I'm wrong on that), so you'll probably want to create a new policy, rather than trying to use the template, but it should give you an idea of how you should set things up.
  • Hello,

Please update us on the status of the issue and if the previous post has helped you

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.
  • As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.