Forum Discussion

niko
Level 3
15 years ago

Backup 2 Disk question - newbie

Hi - Im using Bexec 2010, with Backup to a NAS (Disk folder).  I have setup a backup plan where I want to keep data in a month before it is overwritten again. I have setup weekly full back...
    15 years ago
    Hi,

When we set the overwrite protection period for say 4 weeks we are actually protecting the backup files created by the backup job from getting overwritten for 4 weeks.

so lets say, we backup some 100 GB of data on friday 1, then this data cannot be overwritten by any other job for 4 weeks. because the OPP set to this media set is 4 weeks. so after 4 weeks this 100 GB of data becomes 'overwritable' i.e. this data can now be overwritten by any overwritable job.

so  you have to consider, how much data you will be backing up on a weekly basis, what is the capacity of the tapes and accordingly you have to set the Overwrite protection period.

so lets say, the size of the tape which you are using for the weekly job is 80 GB and every week you backup around 40 GB.

so on friday 1 , we have 40 GB on the tape, on friday 2 we will have another 40 GB i.e. 80 GB in total, so the tape is full now, the only option to write information on this tape now is to overwrite the data on the tape, but in this case, the data cannot be overwritten because the overwrite protection period has been set for 4 weeks.  so none of the backup job will be able to overwrite this tape for 4 weeks, after 4 weeks i.e. once OPP is over, this tape becomes overwritable.

Append period means, for how many days, weeks, moths, years, we can append to this tape.  

let me know if you still have any queries.

Regards,
    tech29