Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Backup Exec Deduplication Assessment Tool

I have downloaded the tool and tested it and it works fine but before I can go to costumers with the tool I need some more information.

1. What permissions do I need on the file, sql and exchange server ?
  2. Does the tool install itselfs or does it leave any marks on the system after it has finisched ?
  3. Is there something that can go wrong ? (Restart of the tool was the sollution provided in the documentation)
  4. other information important to know ?
  • 1-It would require admin privileges.

2-Yes, it puts temp files and are removed when you exit the tool.

3-It should not effect anything else on that server. However there are some Known Issues and Limitations.

- While running the tool, you may face an issue that no resources are displayed on the Select
      Resources panel. To resolve this issue, restart the following services on the servers that you
      have selected for scanning, and then run the tool again:
      - Remote Procedure Call
      - Windows Management Instrumentation
    - After you complete the deduplication assessment, when you click Finish, the tool may not exit
      immediately. This delay is caused because the tool cleans up the temporary data that is created on
      your computer before it exits.

4-Additional info:

The following are the prerequisites for running the Symantec Backup Exec Deduplication Assessment
    tool:
    - Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 must be installed on the computer on which you want to run the tool.
      You can download Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 from the following URL:
      http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718
    - Ensure that the following services are running on your computer:
      - Remote Procedure Call
      - Computer Browser
    - The locale of the operating system on your computer is set to English (United States).
    - On Windows XP workgroup machines
       - Need to bring XP machine into domain or
       - Security policy should be switched to "Classic"

The following prerequisites must be satisfied only if you want to auto-update the Backup Exec
    Deduplication Assessment tool:
    - Firewall on your computer must be disabled or configured to allow outgoing FTP communication.
    - Your computer must be connected to the Internet.

Please let me know if the above info was of any help.

6 Replies

• It does temporarily install an agent for capturing the data, but after the assessment, it is removed automatically...

I guess, this tool would require the same rights as that of the BESA

EDIT - you might want to view this video - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/backup-exec-deduplication-assessment-tool

• So I asume there will not be any file or configurations in the entire server of the tool after it has been deleted ?

And to run the tool for file, exchange and sql I need an AD user with admin permissions.

• ...since a normal user account won't have admin access to Exchange/SQL etc, it's recommended to use a Domain Admin account. This can be deleted once your assessment is complete.

• 1-It would require admin privileges.

2-Yes, it puts temp files and are removed when you exit the tool.

3-It should not effect anything else on that server. However there are some Known Issues and Limitations.

- While running the tool, you may face an issue that no resources are displayed on the Select
      Resources panel. To resolve this issue, restart the following services on the servers that you
      have selected for scanning, and then run the tool again:
      - Remote Procedure Call
    - After you complete the deduplication assessment, when you click Finish, the tool may not exit
      immediately. This delay is caused because the tool cleans up the temporary data that is created on
      your computer before it exits.

4-Additional info:

The following are the prerequisites for running the Symantec Backup Exec Deduplication Assessment
    tool:
    - Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 must be installed on the computer on which you want to run the tool.
      You can download Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 from the following URL:
      http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718
    - Ensure that the following services are running on your computer:
      - Remote Procedure Call
      - Computer Browser
    - The locale of the operating system on your computer is set to English (United States).
    - On Windows XP workgroup machines
       - Need to bring XP machine into domain or
       - Security policy should be switched to "Classic"

The following prerequisites must be satisfied only if you want to auto-update the Backup Exec
    Deduplication Assessment tool:
    - Firewall on your computer must be disabled or configured to allow outgoing FTP communication.
    - Your computer must be connected to the Internet.

Please let me know if the above info was of any help.

• ...most of the questions were already answered in previous comments...