Forum Discussion

khuyen
Level 2
12 years ago

Backup file server to tape over fibre channel

Hi all,

My file server with more than 2TB data need at least 2 days for backup all data. Can Symantec BE 2012 support backup all data from my file server ( it's an physical server ) to FC Tape autoloader via the SAN switch ?

May i invest the HBA card to connect file server to SAN switch and use Symantec BE to controll the data will backup to tape via SAN switch ?

i will appreciate all the answer !

Thanks so much

• Media server license = allows you to run backups from the server. You load agents on this and they allow you to see applications like Exchange etc. Without it you can't run backups.

Enterprise Server Option = a number of separate licenses like CASO and SAN SSO have been rolled up into this.

5 Replies

• Hi,

If BE is installed on your file server, and it doesn't have an FC card installed, then you'd need 1 (2 for redundancy) and nothing else within BE (unless you have more than 1 drive in the autoloader).

If you have a separate media server, then you'd need the following on the file server:

1. License for Backup Exec media server - this needs to be installed on the file server.

2. Enterprise Server Option license - this is installed on the media server and allows SAN SSO to be used which shares your tape library.

3. 1 (or 2!) FC cards in the file server.

SAN SSO is what you would end up using, and data would then get transferred across your SAN from the file server.

Thanks!

• Hi Craig,

I think i will buy a new server with big capacity for backup other application as MS Exchange, Database ...

What is the different between Media Server license and Enterprise Server Option License ?

Could you please help me to make every thing clear !!

Thanks so much for all support .

• Media server license = allows you to run backups from the server. You load agents on this and they allow you to see applications like Exchange etc. Without it you can't run backups.

Enterprise Server Option = a number of separate licenses like CASO and SAN SSO have been rolled up into this.