Forum Discussion

20 years ago

Backup job changes media label?

Backup job runs fine for several weeks and then sometimes our single tape backup job will automatically label a tape with the default of 8MM000001. The next time is happens it labels a tape 8MM000002. The job also changes the allocation date. Note: not the same tape! Also when viewing the media in "Media Sets" the original label is still there AND the new label is in blue text?As if there were now two tapes? Checking the properties of both labels and all stats are different (creation date, allocation, etc)

Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Robert

19 Replies

• We use a single tape drive. Each day we load a tape into the drive physically. All of our tapes are labeled (Eg. 0501041, 0501042,0501043, etc). All tape media sets have same parameters (0) hours append and overwrite protection (none). All tapes are logically stored in a "used" media set until their rotation day. They are then inserted into the drive physically and are logically moved from the "used" media set into the "Daily" media set. The previous jobs ejected tape is moved physically to the storage cabinet and logically to the "used" media set.

The two tapes in the media set (1 black and 1 blue) cannot both be inventoried and cataloged, as they are the same tape physically. The inventory of the device confirms the new media label 8MM000005 and cataloging this tape gives the following info...
    Completed status: Successful
    Device and Media Information
    Drive Name: EXABYTE 2
    Media Label: 8MM000005
    Media GUID: {44CEB194-9245-4653-AF7C-B34012839285}
    Overwrite Protected Until: 12/31/9999 12:00:00 AM
    Appendable Until: 1/1/1900 12:00:00 AM

Stats for the two tapes are:
    Original label
    Media ID {5134EF24-0142-46E0-A882-C332A04EF7BB}
    Creation Date: 5/27/2004 8:31:11 AM
    Allocation Date: 1/19/2005 7:00:16 PM
    Modification Date: 1/20/2005 1:39:13 AM

Newly Labeled
    Media ID {44CEB194-9245-4653-AF7C-B34012839285}
    Creation Date: 2/7/2005 7:01:20 PM
    Allocation Date: 6/2/2005 7:00:15 PM
    Modification Date: 6/3/2005 1:43:10 AM

NOTE: When the physical media (Media Label: 8MM000005) was inventoried and cataloged, BOTH logical designations (original label and new label) show the same Media Location as the EXABYTE 2 Device
  • Hello,

Perform the following:
    - Move all the media's with duplicate entries to retired media set and delete them
    - Inventory the tapes and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.
  • Deleted all duplicates and then ran inventory on media. Media automatically labeled as 8MM000001, then 8MM000002, etc.. Re-labeled media with current naming convention and will monitor backups for update.
  • Hello,

Thank you for the update on this issue.
    As you have relabeled the media and now executing the backup please update us the result.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.
  • Hello,

This appears to be a random issue.
    - Have you tried database repair again?
    - Have you tried deleting the duplicate entries?
    - Have you tried relabeling as per original labels?

Additional Information :
    For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the

following document:
    Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered

questions
    pool.
  • My initial question established that this was a random issue.
    I will try the database repair AGAIN.
    I will delete duplicate entries AGAIN.
    I will rename to original AGAIN.
  • Hello,

Please try doing a reload from base and then verify the result.
    However please note:
    All media sets, backup-to-disk folders, and other settings will have to be created or configured again.
    Please see the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014

Also please check whether you have any event id 9 or 11 related to the device.

Additional Information :
    For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
    Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Thanks,
  • I too am having this problem. It is obviously a bug, and not just some 'random' event. I'm using an 91. and a HP 40x6 autoloader.

I have a general rotation 4 sets of media. Each set has a label RJK:xx.1, RJK:xx.2 and RJK:xx.3. At least once a month, one rotation will get messed up by BE.

This weeks mess: I rotated in the set RJK:05.n. Inventory identified all 3 tapes correctly. When the nightly backup ran, 2 of the tapes got relabled by BE to 4MMxxxxx. The 2 newly relabled media share the same Media GUID as the original.

BE should in my opinion
    1) if the label is corrupt, and the media ID exists in the database, either rewrite the label, and tell me there was a problem
    2) let me forcefully tell BE that two tapes are identical, and force a fix.
    3) never, ever, relabel a tape during backup, if the initial inventory label differs.