Forum Discussion

JoeyDE
Level 3
15 years ago

Backup job fails with 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred

Hi!

I receive the following errors when I try to backup a Windows Server 2008 with SP2 (not R2). The backup-to-disk job fails right after the start.

0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.

I'm using Backup Exec 12.5d with SP3. The Remote Agent version is 12.5.2213.158.

I've got another Windows Server 2008 where the backup jobs runs successfull but I can't figure out what the difference between these two systems is.

Both 2008 servers are running as a virtual machine on VMware ESXi. Backup Exec is running on a physical Windows Server 2003.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

• Symantec Support called me back today. The problem is solved now.

The port range (Tools > Options > Network and Security > Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range) was a little less. I changed it to 1025 - 1050 and the job is working fine now.

9 Replies

• Hi Craig,

thanks for your reply but I'm not using the VMware Agent. I only want to backup the Windows- and program-files itself with RAWS installed. We are backing up several other Windows servers which are running as a VM on ESXi just like that. The job only fails on this one 2008 server.

We do not use BE for backing up the whole VM (vmdk's...), we do that on a seperate way using a script from the VMware community. This job only runs once i a week. With BE we want a daily file-based backup.

An additional info to the problem mentioned in the first post:
    The Windows firewall is disabled on the server and there is no other firewall between the BE and the remote server.

Any other suggestions?

• Yep...

I am going to suggest you look at the following:

1. Make sure that the RAWS agent service is running on that server. If so, check the Event Viewer to see whether or not the services are stopping and generating errors as a result.
    2. Check that the server's RAWS agent is publishing correctly to your server.
    3. Make sure the service account used by BEWS is a member of the server's local admins group.

Failing that, you might want to look at uninstalling the RAWS agent from that server, and then doing a push installation from your media server.
    Is SP3 a new installation, and did you push the RAWS agent out to your remote servers?
  • Hi Craig,

the RAWS service is running and not generating any messages in the Event Viewer when the job fails. The BE account is member of the local admin group

I also did uninstall RAWS and reinstall it through push. I tried running the job again and it fails after about 10 seconds.

I also checked the VSS status on the remote server with "vssadmin list writers". Everything is ok there. Event telnet to port 10000 on the remote machine works.

Any other ideas? :)

• OK...so then, let's check a couple of other things:

1. What all is being backed up on that server? Do you have licensing for any SQL/Exchange agents etc?
    2. Any chance your antivirus is blocking communication between the media server and the RAWS agent?
    3. Do you have SEP installed? I have seen a couple of forum posts where that causes issues.
  • Thanks for your help so far!!

1. For testing purpose I selected a single folder which contains some files. System state or anything else is not selected. There is a sql 2008 running on the server but I don't want to backup up this one right now, though we have the SQL agent licensed.

2. AV is currently not installed. Later I'll install Kaspersky AV.

3. SEP is not installed.

• The error still exists. The last thing I did was uninstalling RAWS on the remote server and reinstalling it with AOFO option. No luck so far.

Any other suggestions?

I also have to add that the response time of the german symantec support (calling from india) is a little bit long. I opened a case (411-182-310) through MySupport on Jan 27th and the first call-back I received was on Feb 3rd. By the time they tried to reach me I couldn't get to the phone so I received a mail to confirm my telephone number which I did an hour later. Now I'm still waiting for them to reach me.
  • Tell them it is critical...you get put into an immediate queue! That should help you.

• Symantec Support called me back today. The problem is solved now.

The port range (Tools > Options > Network and Security > Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range) was a little less. I changed it to 1025 - 1050 and the job is working fine now.