Forum Discussion

tisso
Level 3
12 years ago

BE - heavy I/O on client server

Hi

There is a new HP server with RAID6.

Due to budget constraint, both "backup source data" and "backup target data" located on the same server. But, on different "logical partitions".

It acts both as file-server and backup-storage.

BE 2012 is installed on another server, with attached tape drive.

During backup, data movement on LAN is: HP -> backup server -> HP.

I am concerned about the read-write activities on the HP during backup.

What kind I do to make it more efficient?

Thanks for the advice.

• If you are so concerned about the I/O's, then forget about the backup to disk and just backup straight to tape.  The backup to disk is not very useful when the server crashes.

3 Replies

• both "backup source data" and "backup target data" located on the same server

It is more than I/O that you have to be worried about.  One of the basic tenets of a good backup is violated with the above arrangement which is to have the backup as far away as possible from the source.  If your HP server crashes, you loose both your original data and your backup data.

There is nothing you can do to improve the I/O in the arrangement above.  Do plan to move the backup data to some location.other than the HP server.

• Hi,

Understand what you said, but in this case, there is a tape copy.

The disk storage is for temporary only, until overwritten on a weekly basis.

Thanks.

• If you are so concerned about the I/O's, then forget about the backup to disk and just backup straight to tape.  The backup to disk is not very useful when the server crashes.