Forum Discussion

12 years ago

BE2012 HyperV - Failed to mount virtual disk images

Hi,

We are trying to backup our hyper-v failover cluster, we're using backup exec 2012 with the hyper-v agent installed on all the virtual server hosts (x5). The backup exec agent is also installed on each VM, which I believe is a requirement for GRT. We are trying to back up a single virtual server (file server) as a test but cannot restore individual files only the entire VM, which is not acceptable in our environment. The job always errors with the following:

V-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:

We are using 2008R2 Hyper-V v2.0 fully patched (July updates), backup exec has SP1a installed and all the agents have been updated. All the VM VHDs are stored on a iSCSI SAN disks.

Any ideas/help would b greatly apprecated!

Mark

• Hi,

I've had a look at both the above articles and as we are running 2008R2 I do not think it applies to us, as we can mount VHDs natively in the OS.

The disks that host the VMs are formatted to 512Byte as is the backup drives in the media server to which it is being backed up to.

However, when i try to attached a VHD using Windows Disk Management, i recieve this error: "A Virtual Disk Provider for the specified file was not found".

I have found a MS Tech article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2013544 and i'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks!

7 Replies