Forum Discussion

321-b
Level 4
10 years ago

BE2014 Deduplication - how many concurrent jobs do you run, what spec is your backup server?

Hi

I have a couple of quick questions about the dedupe store concurrent jobs setting (for a standard dedupe store running on the media server, with no external devices and no OSTs).

What do people normally leave the setting at? It's looking like i'm going to be running quite a few jobs at once, but i'm hesitant to perform more than 3 jobs at once as it might slow all the jobs down to much

I have BE running as a VM, with 2 x dual core processors, with 32GB of RAM. If i double this to 8 cores in total, will it help me run more concurrent jobs efficiently?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

• It is not recommended to use a VM for a media server especially if you are using dedupe because of the resource intensive nature of dedupe. You should use a physical server. Regardless of which server you use, the number of concurrent jobs that you run depends on your environment. Nobody can tell you this number. You should adjust the number of concurrent jobs to arrive at a comfortable number.

11 Replies