Forum Discussion

19 years ago

Cannot contact Netware agent even though volumes are listed

Hello Support:

I am using the latest patched version of BE 10.x. I am running backups on Netware Servers running 6.x from Windows 2003 Standard servers. I could formerly contact all Novell servers. Now I am suddenly getting an "Error connecting to remote servers. Make sure the Netware Remote Agent is running" message when I try to run a backup job.

When I look at the logger screen on the Netware console, I am seeing the - new - message of "Get effective rights (message) lookup failed." I have the ADVRTMS.DAT file configured with the IP addresses of the backup servers. When I click on the "Backup" tab in BE, I get a full listing of my Netware servers along with their volumes. (Usually one would get a connection error here if the Netware Agent were faulty.) This volume listing alone used to imply that the Netware Agent was up and running. I have of course run BESTART and the Netware console shows BKEXEC.NLM up and running.

One caveat, I did see a process using Port 10000. So I switched the backup process to use Port 12345, and entered it in the services and CFG files as decimal and Hexadecimal. Any clues as to why I can see the volumes listed under the backup tab / Netware Agents, but when I run a backup job I get the "cannot contact remote agent" errors? Thanks!!!

11 Replies

• http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278581.htm SOLVES THIS PROBLEM. NOTE TO ALL USERS. AS OF 9-14.05, THE NETWARE AGENT IS BUILD 1152.4 ON THE MAIN VERITAS DOWNLOAD SITE. UPDATES FROM HOTFIXES WILL RENDER THIS VERSION INOPERABLE. YOU NEED THE 1158 BUILD PER THIS DOCUMENT TO CONTACT YOUR NOVELL SERVERS!!! YOU'RE WELCOME, NOW GIT OUT THERE AND GIT 'ER DUN!!!!!