Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Configuring Removable Disk Cloudberry drive as a disk-based storage

Hello to everybody, Recently I've configured in my BackupExec 2015 FP2 - runing under Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition (x64) - my Amazon S3 bucket as a cloud storage. But appart from that, ...
    9 years ago

I have done some testing now I have my own account in S3

A period/full stop/. character cannot be used in the name of the bucket (Amazon Allows it but we will not detect the bucket containing a . for backup purposes.

As such you should only use the characters we state in our article

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000081253

Now I was a bit concerned that having one bucket name containing a . might cause problems for any subsqeuent buckets that have valid names so I played about with creating some further buckets after my invalid one and I made sure these further buckets were alphabetically before and after my problem one. I could not find a way to make any other buckets not be available in Backup Exec (as along as they all used valid characters.)

So my tests were:

5 correctly named buckets in S3 = Backup Exec could use all 5

Add a 6th bucket with a . in the name (this happend to be aphaberically before the first 5) = Backup Exec only saw first 5

Add a 7th bucket with a valid name but aphabetically before the invalid one = Backup Exec saw the first five buckets and the 7th but not the 6th one

Delete the 7th bucket and rereate a new 7th one so that it alphabetically comes after the invalid one = Backup Exec saw the first five buckets and the 7th but not the 6th one