Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Configuring Removable Disk Cloudberry drive as a disk-based storage

Hello to everybody,

Recently I've configured in my BackupExec 2015 FP2 - runing under Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition (x64) - my Amazon S3 bucket as a cloud storage.

But appart from that, I've got configured a removable disk mounted as a virtual disk at system startup with Cloudberry Drive. In my previous version of Backup Exec (2010) running under Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (x64) I could configure that removable disk as a storage, but in this version it doesn't appear in the list of the local disks of the server.

Has Backup Exec 2015 changed the way it processes these virtual disks? Is anything wrong in my configuration?

Thanks for your help.

• I have done some testing now I have my own account in S3

A period/full stop/. character cannot be used in the name of the bucket (Amazon Allows it but we will not detect the bucket containing a . for backup purposes.

As such you should only use the characters we state in our article

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000081253

Now I was a bit concerned that having one bucket name containing a . might cause problems for any subsqeuent buckets that have valid names so I played about with creating some further buckets after my invalid one and I made sure these further buckets were alphabetically before and after my problem one. I could not find a way to make any other buckets not be available in Backup Exec (as along as they all used valid characters.)

So my tests were:

5 correctly named buckets in S3 = Backup Exec could use all 5

Add a 6th bucket with a . in the name (this happend to be aphaberically before the first 5) = Backup Exec only saw first 5

Add a 7th bucket with a valid name but aphabetically before the invalid one = Backup Exec saw the first five buckets and the 7th but not the 6th one

Delete the 7th bucket and rereate a new 7th one so that it alphabetically comes after the invalid one = Backup Exec saw the first five buckets and the 7th but not the 6th one

13 Replies

• Thanks both of you @pkh and @VJware.

The "problem" I have with the cloud connector is that I cannot select the Amazon bucket I want to save my backups. I have several buckets configured for different purposes and when I configure the cloud storage, it is always selected one of them (unfortunatelly, not the one prepared for the copies in that server).

I opened a support case last week because I couldn't connect to my amazon account and, once the technician helped me with that problem, he could see that I couldn't choose any bucket at all. He told me that there will be a script that will resolve this issue, but no probably untill January.

That's the reason of trying to find another solution.

Anyway, thanks for your attention.

• BE 15 has a cloud connector which can add Amazon S3 as a Storage. Afaik, a Cloudberry Drive essentially mounts the Amazon S3 Storage as a local / network storage. I am guessing in this version, what you are trying to do doesn't work since

a) as pkh mentioned, Cloudberry isn't officially supported.

b) It probably worked in older version of BE since BE didn't have a cloud connector and wasn't cloud-aware. However, as BE 15 as a cloud connector for using S3 as Storage, then using a Cloudberry Drive kinda makes it redundant.

• Cloudberry Drive is never supported by any version of BE. When it worked previously, you are lucky