Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Convert to VHD in Backup Exec 2012

I recently did a clean install of Backup Exec 2012 on our domain controller server.

I have created a Full backup to disk job to run daily and a convert to VHD job to run weekly with the more recent full backup.

The backup to disk job completes and the convert to VHD starts, it ran for about half an hour. (During this time it successfully added the VM to my Hyper-V remote server).

I then got an error that the job had failed. :

V-79-57344-42015 Failed to create the metadata file on the remote server

Not sure what i need to to do get this rolling. Any help would be great. Thanks

• OK, I have tried it a different way and managed to get it to work.

BEFORE
    Backup Exec Server was backing up a remote server to a HyperV-Server that was also remote.

AFTER
    Installed Hyper-V on the backup exec server and did a backup of the remote server to the hyper-v on that one. Worked successfully.

The vmguest.iso i was using before was on the remote server in C:\windows\system32
    I used the vmguest.iso on the bux server once i installed it .

7 Replies

• Hi David,

The cause may be permissions related because in one case this was seen when the Media Server was in a domain, and the Hyper-V server in a workgroup.

Join the Hyper-V server to the domain if possible.
  • Sorry for the late reply.

Both servers are on the domain.
    The service account also has full domain admin rights.

• If i understand correctly, you're attempting to perfrom Physical to Virtual ?

• Are you sure you are using the correct vmguest iso for the conversion?

• OK, I have tried it a different way and managed to get it to work.

BEFORE
    Backup Exec Server was backing up a remote server to a HyperV-Server that was also remote.

AFTER
    Installed Hyper-V on the backup exec server and did a backup of the remote server to the hyper-v on that one. Worked successfully.

The vmguest.iso i was using before was on the remote server in C:\windows\system32
    I used the vmguest.iso on the bux server once i installed it .

• Perfect !

That is exactly what i was gonna suggest next (post your reply to my question)  smiley

I'l see if we can have that solution documented in a technote so others can benefit from it. yes