Forum Discussion

Markf1
Level 2
13 years ago

Creating medium-term B2D strategy

Hi,

Re: Backup Exec, 2010, R3

I'm after creating a medium term backup to disk strategy that provides for the maximum restore points while remaining as much 'point-and-click' in restore process as possible.

We have a file server sized approx 1Tb for which I have created a full monthly backup followed by differentials each weekday (every Friday we run a full B/u to tape for off-site archiving). Data is MS file data, AOF is set to be on. Backup is to Netgear ReadyNAS3200 with approx 10Tb of available storage space.

I would like to have, say, four months of backups available from disk. Anything older than that I will go to the tapes for.

Would the best route be to create one full backup (say, 1st Saturday March, 2012 followed by differentails every Mon-Fri) for the whole duration of the required period (4 months) to a Backup-to Disk folder named , say, Q1-2012 or would it be best to create a new Full backup every 1st Saturday, followed by the diffs for the rest of the month and then start the process all over again for the following months on back-up-to-disk folders named MAR-2012, APR2012, MAY2012 etc.

In fact would differentials be the best way to go with this strategy rather than incrementals?

Has anyone tried this?

Rate of data change is < 1gb per day.

Media server is running 2008 R2

File server is running 2003 R2 (32-bit)

Cheers,

Mark

• We recommend all disk based backups start as Overwrite - and if you want to keep 3 months of data you would set the overwrite protection to keep for 3 months (possibly less a day to cover for the length of time the job actually takes to run as the overwite protection is calculated from the end of the last backup job not the start.)

4 Replies

• If you run weekly tape based full backups the middle of the sequence then it could mess up your differentials going back to the full on disk.

Probably better to look at DeDuplication on disk with more frequent full sets and then duplicate the odd full set to tape as required using a Duplicate job

• Hi Colin...many thanks for your response! OK...so if I have you correctly you're suggesting, for example, Weekly Fulls to Bu2d every Saturday, say, with diffs on Mon - Fri and then (again as an example) run the Saturday's Full off to tape every Sunday? That certainly sounds like a plan but would I need to create whole separate jobs for each week's Bu2D to be able to keep my three months' roll-back or would I just use the media-set rules to allow append and no over-write for the desired period?

Thanks again for your advice!

Mark

• We recommend all disk based backups start as Overwrite - and if you want to keep 3 months of data you would set the overwrite protection to keep for 3 months (possibly less a day to cover for the length of time the job actually takes to run as the overwite protection is calculated from the end of the last backup job not the start.)