Forum Discussion

KennethB
Level 3
15 years ago

Date Modified changes after Restore

After having restored data backed up by doing a "Copy" I'm losing all of the original file creation/modified date information for the original files.

I'm restoring from a Windows 2000 server (Backup Exec 10) to a Windows Server 2003 SP2 server. After the restore if I view the restored data on the W2K3 server (in Windows Explorer) the original date appears identifying the folder modified/creation date. However I can then watch as all of the "Date Modified" dates change to today's date. All of my documents retain the date info they should, it's just the folder info that is changing.

What am I missing that could be causing this? Can it be prevented?

Any info would be appreciated.
  •  I would think that sound right. Your saying the folder is changing?

Example :  E:\home\user\filea.txt.  Your saying \home or \user direcotry is changing data but filea.txt is not?

I would think if you restoring to a empty volume or Backup Exec has to create the directory the modified data would be current date. Then files restored would retain there orginal dates since its just a "copy" of data rather than create command if that make sense

Stephen

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • What you are seeing is the expected behaviour.  Create a new folder and note the timestamp.  Put some files into the folder and you would see the timestamp of the folder change.  Delete some files in the folder and again you would see the timestamp change.

When the contents of a folder changes, the modification timestamp will change.  This is not caused by BE.  It is part of the OS and cannot be prevented.

•  I would think that sound right. Your saying the folder is changing?

Example :  E:\home\user\filea.txt.  Your saying \home or \user direcotry is changing data but filea.txt is not?

I would think if you restoring to a empty volume or Backup Exec has to create the directory the modified data would be current date. Then files restored would retain there orginal dates since its just a "copy" of data rather than create command if that make sense

Stephen